Hilo Travel Answers

change location

Car Rental choices

by mavrtt Online Now Oct 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM

The prices for car rental were the same between Dollar and Thrifty.

Any reason to pick one over the other?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

Re: Car Rental choices

by lostsooner55 Online Now Oct 9, 2009 at 1:32 AM

I assume you'll be flying in to the islands. You might wish to check if one of these car rental companies "partners" with your airline. That might allow you to rent a car at a lower rate, get an upgrade in model, or possibly help you earn extra airline miles. Gary

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Car Rental choices

by mavrtt Online Now Oct 9, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Thanks for the tip re checking what the airlines would offer. Hawaiian Air offered the same lowest prices I got when I individually checked each car rental agency. However, for Thrifty and Dollar, they both had a Hilo city discount of about20 lower than the special rates. The Hilo city discount was not offered with the airlines rates.

I opted for Thrifty but Dollar was the same price. All other rentals were higher, one even over500 versus the274 (with taxes, etc) for 8 days that I got with Thrifty. I save26 with the Hilo discount, enough to buy a souvenir at Hilo Hatties! By the way, Thrifty offered a printable coupon for Hilo Hatties too.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I checked it out.

• lostsooner55's Profile Photo

Re: Car Rental choices

by lostsooner55 Online Now Oct 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I'm glad that checking helped. I don't rent a car often, but I'll still check multiple sources for the best price. If it's awhile before you fly, I'd check the rates again just before you leave. Gary

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines