Hilo Travel Answers

change location

THANK YOU!!!

by ifeelhappy Online Now Nov 27, 2005 at 4:43 PM

Wow, thanks for all the details guys, I really appretiate it! A friend of mine has suggested a trip that way to check out the area first hand ( mostly I think because he needs a vacation, but it's always fun to have someone to talk to on long trips) It sounds like a good idea to me. So, what would be a good time of year to check it out? By "good time of year" I mean what is the non-touristy season, I'd like to avoid anything supercrowded, if possible. Also, any good places to stay? I found a place online called Arnott's Lodge, looks to be right up my alley. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks again! -Maggie

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • BlueCollar's Profile Photo

RE: THANK YOU!!!

by BlueCollar Online Now Nov 28, 2005 at 2:07 AM

We stayed at Arnott's a couple years ago. We had their "deluxe" room and found it to be clean and orderly basic room. There are no frills. That's all we needed. After hiking and exploring all day, all we need was a clean place to rest-up for the next day...and that's what Arnott's offered.

The majority of their "room" offerings cater to the young "hostel" crowd with bunk housing being primary. But the deluxe rooms were triplexes that were set away from the bunk buildings. We liked it.

Be sure to take their tours. The Mauna Kea sunset and Stargazing is spectacular and well price if you are also staying on their property. Likewise, the Lava Hike is amazing if you're physically prepared. We have done this twice hike with them on two separate trips to this island. Very interesting and very informative. But heed this caution: If the lava is flowing far from the end of Chain of Craters Road, it will be a long hike out to see it on the surface. Our first trip required a 2.5 mile hike across the lava fields to access it. The second trip gave us up close viewing right at the end of the road.

Arnott's does a great job and we will definitely use them again on our next trip to this island.

I hope you have a great trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • triplehelix's Profile Photo

RE: RE: THANK YOU!!!

by triplehelix Online Now Nov 29, 2005 at 10:43 AM

hi again! you won't find many tourists around hilo at any set time. there are probably more japanese tourists that come here than from the mainland. most mainlanders come over during the winter to escape it lol. most tourists head over to waikiki on oahu or go to kona.

if you want to stay away from touristy places than arnotts is probably a good choice for you since most tourists stay at a hotel. hope you enjoy!

• RE: THANK YOU!!!

by morto24 Online Now Dec 31, 2006 at 4:26 PM

I stayed at Arnott's Lodge quite a few years ago now but if it is still run by the same people I would definitely recommend it. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They also run fantastic tours to most places on the island and have good theme night / dinners a few nights a week to help you meet other people.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines