Hilo Travel Answers

change location
Jesse_Dylan's Profile Photo

Where do the Japanese hang out in Hilo?

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Oct 29, 2004 at 2:20 PM

I know that the Bayfront used to kind of be "Little Tokyo" until it got wiped out (twice!) by gigantic tsunamis. Now it's mostly just a park, right? Although there is a breakwater installed (would that really stop a tsunami of that size?). So... Where is Little Tokyo now? Or have the Japanese sufficiently been integrated into the population that a Little Tokyo does not exist? Is there any place at all where Japanese-speakers (perhaps elderly Japanese) hang out? Is there a specific bar, perhaps, where Japanese chill? Just wondering if anyone had noticed. I think it would be fun to check out, sing karaoke at, and eventually get to speaking real Japanese with, well, real Japanese! :P And if I screwed up, I could just pretend I'd had too much to drink. (One cup of sake is about all it takes and I'm loopy :p) Hopefully someone knows. :D I'm eager. Thanks for all the responses on my previous questions! Jesse

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Where do the Japanese hang out in Hilo?

by joesorce Online Now Oct 30, 2004 at 9:46 PM

Here is a question for YOU! How did a kid from North Dakota get so interested in Japanese?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jesse_Dylan's Profile Photo

How I got interested in Japanese.

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Nov 2, 2004 at 2:40 PM

There are so many ways I could answer this question. I could probably write a book on the topic. :) My personal belief is that God put a strange thirst for Japan in my soul. Other people, Lafcadio Hearn, for one, have also described the very essence of Japan calling out to them like a siren. However, I don't think my boat will crash, and I don't think I'll drown. I don't know what the purpose is. If I can turn it into a career, wonderful, and if God has some grand scheme for me, and if the Islands of Japan need me for something, that will be a wonderful bonus. Maybe it all started with the Ninja Turtles when I was five, or with Final Fantasy when I was 7. There's just no turning back now. :P

• Re: How I got interested in Japanese.

by joesorce Online Now Nov 3, 2004 at 10:59 AM

www.gohawaii.com/culture/Default.aspx Check this out if you haven't already

• Re: Where do the Japanese hang out in Hilo?

by dorisavram Online Now May 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM

I wish to know the same thing. I'm coming to visit in 3 days Big Island. If you found out, please let me know! Cheers !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines