Hilo Travel Answers

change location
Jesse_Dylan's Profile Photo

Contemplating tranfser to UoH--Hilo

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Oct 24, 2004 at 10:31 PM

Just so happens that the cheapest school in the country with a good Japanese program is located in paradise--Hilo, HI! I want to go there and FINALLY get my Japanese major, maybe move on to grad school... Whatever the case, I may end up staying in Hilo forever. It sounds wounderful! I guess I just want to know a little (or a lot) about Hilo. I have a million questions... Is the cost of living really as insane as rumor has it? I'll be living in the dorms, so it doesn't really affect me, but if I ever get an apartment there... etc... Does it rain, like, all the time? Gotta see the sun once in a while. I don't mind rain when it's warm, though, so I should be fine (and it looks like it's almost always "partly" couldy rather than totally or mostly). Looks like there are lotsa Japanese restaurants and a Chinese one, too. Check! How about department stores? Better yet, is there a dedicated video game store? How about a store for Japanese imports? That would be wonderful. If not, I will have to carry out this sort of transaction over the internet. About getting my things to Hilo... Do I have any alternative to packing them in boxes and shipping them? That will be pricey, but obviously I can't drive a U-Haul to Hilo... How do residents get from one island to another? Boat? If I wanted to take the bus from Hilo to Honolulu some weekend to hunt down Japanese import shops... how would I go about that? I have a million more questions, too. Is Hilo easy to navigate without a car? I hate cars. When it's always so beautiful outside (as long as I have an umbrella), why would I bother to drive? :p I really hope I get responses! I don't know what else to ask... I want any and all info! I ordered some maps and books from Amazon.com. It's touristy stuff, yeah, but that's fine. :) :) :) I'm so excited!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • wavesport's Profile Photo

Re: Contemplating tranfser to UoH--Hilo

by wavesport Online Now Oct 24, 2004 at 11:35 PM

Hilo is rainy, very rainy. Everyone flies between the islands. I once took a boat between the islands and I was so sea sick that I seriously contemplated suicide, i.e., jumping overboard to drown and end my misery. Hilo is not that touristy of a town. Most of the tourist go to Kona where it's sunny and they have better beaches.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jesse_Dylan's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Contemplating tranfser to UoH--Hilo

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Oct 25, 2004 at 1:19 PM

Well, I can always bus to Kona, right? :p heh Or bike, if I'm feeling really physically motivated. I'll just have to avoid Honolulu except on special occassions. :) How much is a flight from Hilo to Honolulu, anyway? Or Kona to Honolulu or what not. I'll check.

• Jesse_Dylan's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Contemplating tranfser to UoH--Hilo

by Jesse_Dylan Online Now Oct 25, 2004 at 1:22 PM

KonaMax-- Yup, it's tough for me to think of the weather ever being "bad" in Hilo, even if it rained every day, coming from, as you put it, the windy, rainy, -40 plains of ND. :P I'm excited to get out of here, sadly... I don't care if I'm so broke that I have to eat instant ramen for all my non-financed (by the university) meals. I don't care if I can never afford to fly to Honolulu or bus (or what not) to Kona. Although I do think it might be neat to bike to Kona. That could make for a fun weekend, and possibly a sore arse. :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines