Hikkaduwa Travel Answers

change location

trip with 2 small children

by rosjeal Online Now Mar 23, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Hi
We are planning our first trip to sri Lanka next Jan with our 2 children who will be 4 and just under 2 and are planning to stay in Hikkaduwa for the main part of it. Can anyone tell me what the mosquitos are REALLY like? I've read all the official travel advice and it all sounds a bit worrying - especially as the repellants with DEET in are not recommended for use on under 2s.
Also, we'd love to break our journey back up to Colombo and the airport somewhere - to see a bit of inland Sri lanka. i'm particularly interested in a place called Ella and a guesthouse called Ambiente Guesthouse. Firstly, can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it would take to drive from Hikkaduwa to Ella and then from ella back to negombo / Colombo? Secondly, has anyone got any better / more suitable alternatives?
ANY advice about a holiday to Sri lanka with two little ones would be really appreciated too!
Thanks ever so much
Ros

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: trip with 2 small children

by carol-henwood Online Now Apr 15, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Hi
    My reply to you is regarding the mosquito's. I went to Sri Lanka in March. We(group of 4)all had the usual lotions and potionsand wrist bands, deet free included. We found that the best repelent was covering up at night. Our group all suffered the nip of the mosi. Not one repellent was more effective than another. They all did their job to a certain extent but some mosi's were more determined than the others.I have not yet found a repellent that is 100% effective. I would take a good after bite soulution as well as the repellent.

Hope you have a good holiday (Sri Lanka is a wonderful country)

Regards
    Carol

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines