Hikkaduwa Travel Answers

change location

is it safe from shark attack to surf in Sri Lanka?

by pimon Online Now Feb 6, 2004 at 7:42 PM

I'm worried about shark attack. anyone knows about this? anyway how many days I should spend in Sri lanka for? i love to see some hill too and go surfing and see some other ancient. does anyone know there's cheap package from Colombo to Maldives? how much would it cost and where can I find it in Colombo? thank u very much

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • freya_heaven's Profile Photo

Re: is it safe from shark attack to surf in Sri Lanka?

by freya_heaven Online Now Feb 6, 2004 at 11:48 PM

I would recommend at least 2 weeks in Sri Lanka, even then you wouldnt get to see it all. Considering it is such a small Island there is so much to see and do. Have a great trip, Sri Lanka is Beautiful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TOTORINO's Profile Photo

by TOTORINO Online Now Feb 7, 2004 at 12:26 PM

Maldives is an expensive place.

• Nilanka's Profile Photo

by Nilanka Online Now Feb 7, 2004 at 10:24 PM

Hello, You don't need to worry about shark attacks in Hikkaduwa. There are not sharks in the area. You can do alot of Sri Lanka if you decide to spend about 10 days. To see some hill country you can go to Nuwera Eliya and for some ancient cities you can go to Anuradhapura or Polonnaruwa. You can get a package to Maldives from Sri Lanka for about US$300 and above. Let me know if you need anything attended to. My e-mail is: nilankap@sltnet.lk Cheers, Nilanka

• hugit4249's Profile Photo

RE: is it safe from shark attack to surf in Sri Lanka?

by hugit4249 Online Now Feb 11, 2006 at 12:24 PM

I have been to Sri Lanka twice and each time I was told that they do not have sharks in their ocean.
    I must admit, I find this very hard to believe. The Indian Ocean is a warm ocean, which suits most sharks and I know they have a multitude of sharks off the coast of India.
    I hope you have a good time when you go!

Cheers for now.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines