Highland Travel Answers

change location
Arbuckle's Profile Photo

Durness to Cape Wrath When the Ferry Isn't Running

by Arbuckle Online Now Oct 8, 2007 at 7:41 AM

Okay, so the Kyle of Durness ferry has closed for the winter now. So what do you eggheads reckon is the best route to the Cape and the Clo Mor cliffs with no ferry? (I'm trying to avoid slogging up via Sandwood Bay from the south.)

Should I go round the southern end of the Kyle and cross the bridges over the two little rivers, then strike out northwest round the back of yon hill and head in the vague direction of the road to the Cape? Or is it worth trying to walk up the west side of the Kyle beneath the hill (or is the land too steep, as it looks on the map)? Or should I take a small inflatable dinghy with me and simply paddle across the Kyle at low tide?

Once across the Kyle, is the going very wet and mushy? And should I expect to find campers all over the place or is it relatively deserted? Are there fences to divide Army land from public access land? And how do I find out when the Army's using their land and when they're not? And are there tide-tables viewable anywhere, so I know what the Kyle will be doing?

Questions, questions.

(Many thanks for your help.)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Durness to Cape Wrath When the Ferry Isn't Running

by ADB41 Online Now Oct 19, 2007 at 3:37 PM

In actual fact, slogging up from Sandwood Bay would be the route I'd recommend. However, failing that, you can of course cross the Kyle of Durness at low tide. Tidal predictions available here: easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTid..., which is for Durness. Please be EXTREMELY careful if you decide to swim, ford or otherwise cross the waters of the Kyle. The tidal difference can be up to 5 metres / 17 feet. Using the relevant Explorer map (1:25000), you can cross the eastern inflow into the Kyle at NC364617, provided that bridge exists. You need to cross the River Grudie at NC349628 and head northeast along the coast of the Kyle to the ferry crossing.
    This area is deserted, period, certainly now that the tourist season has closed.
    Info on military activity can be viewed here rnopsscotland.com/aboutCapeW.... There are no fences, except between the above crossing point south of the Kyle and the ferry pier. See the map for details.

Please also remember that daylight hours are shrinking rapidly. Bring a tent.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Highland Travel Answer Locations