Herzliya Travel Answers

change location
lsalin's Profile Photo

Information on Herzliya???

by lsalin Online Now Feb 19, 2006 at 8:18 PM

Hi, I will be spending time in June and July in Herzliya. I will be attending classes at The Interdisciplinary Center, and am wondering how far it is from the Sharon Hotel? Is there another hotel that would be closer to the IDC? What kind of taxi cost would it be between the Sharon and the IDC? If I choose to rent a car, what is the driving situation like in Herzliya, say compared to a large U.S. city like San Diego or Chicago?

Also, do you know where I can find a street map of Herzliya before I arrive there?

Thanks,

Larry

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • gilabrand's Profile Photo

RE: Information on Herzliya???

by gilabrand Online Now Feb 20, 2006 at 8:42 AM

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • g.l.s.h's Profile Photo

by g.l.s.h Online Now Feb 20, 2006 at 11:50 AM

The Sharon Hotel is not in walking distance from the IDC but all other Hrtseliya major hotels are near the Hasharon (on the beach) so it wont make a difference. I guess a taxi would charge some 25 shk (4-5$) and its takes some 10-15 minutes drive. I think bus #2 is actually connecting the two places. Dont rent a car for that: parking is under charge, the area in between is "Hertseliya Pituach" which is a labyrinth of streets and its rather annoying. Still there are no really heavy traffic jams, but rather slow traffic and too many roundabouts and traffic lights.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

RE: RE: Information on Herzliya???

by Martin_S. Online Now Feb 21, 2006 at 4:14 AM

Hi and Shalom:
    Well, part of your question is easy to answer...I lived in both San Diego and Chicago, and driving in Herzliya, or even all of Israel (with the exception of Haifa, Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv) is very simple. Most of the towns are very small and if you "get lost" just stop and ask. Roads between towns are usually very well marked and in English, but you will get the occassional sign that is right on the turnoff. All in all most people visiting have commented that it is very easy to navigate here.
    Renting a car is a good idea only if you plan to do some sightseeing around the country. If you plan on staying in Herzliya and the immediate area, then the public transportation (read buses) are pretty good and will get you to almost anyplace you need. A taxi is more expensive of course, but may often save time.
    Martin

• LIORSHABAT's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Information on Herzliya???

by LIORSHABAT Online Now Feb 22, 2006 at 6:39 PM

hello
    well get ready for your staying in israel , you welcome .
    well herzelia its a very nice area for your staying , the sharon hotel its a nice one on the beach and you will enjoy the area in june , also there is alot good resturants in ""herzelia pituch"" and you can enjoy caffes and bars .
    i will be happy to send you a real good map of herzelya just tell me where to send the map , the stamps on me jjjjj.
    well also you can go to tel aviv that its 5 min drive and enjoy the big city , tel aviv have so much to offer you . in herzelya you have also apolonia park that its very nice to vist its an old city on the beach near the sharon hotel . you can go also to the bigest marina in the middele east its also in herzelia and its 5 min walking from the sharon hotel .
    if you need any info and help you can stay in touch have fun and welcome to israel
    lior

• wantok's Profile Photo

by wantok Online Now Feb 22, 2006 at 10:30 PM

Option 1:
    Line 029 from hotel to central post office (~20 min freq / ~20 min drive) ->
    Line 2 from post office to IDC (~30 min freq / ~5 min drive).

Option 2:
    Same as option 1 but walk for ~15-20 min instead of waiting for line 2, but remember that Herzliya is hot and humid especially in July.

Option 3:
    Line 029 from hotel to Kfar Shmaryahu (~20 min freq / ~10 min drive) ->
    Line 618 for one long station (~1.5-2 hr freq / ~5 min drive) ->
    Walk for 5-10 minutes to IDC, but this means you'll have to adhere to 618 schedule

Option 4:
    Walk for 2 miles from hotel to IDC (hot and sweaty!)

Option 5:
    Taxi - ~10 min drive. ~15-20 NIS ($4) each trip

Option 6:
    Rent a car.
    Parking near hotel usually not a problem (park 250 yards away in the worst case).
    Parking lot near IDC may charge - I'm not sure.

I'll try to send you a bus map via e-mail later today or tomorrow.

• wantok's Profile Photo

by wantok Online Now Feb 22, 2006 at 10:38 PM

A few more notes:
    - Taxi is probably about 10 NIS more expansive that I wrote: 25-30NIS.
    - Driving may be a little confusing for the first day but should be easy after that - Just be ready for restless drivers.
    - If you want, I can find out the price of a monthly bus pass for that area.
    And most importantly - Welcome to Israel and have fun!

• lsalin's Profile Photo

Thank you for all of the information

by lsalin Online Now Mar 20, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Hi,

Thank you for all of the information that you have provided me with. I now feel much more comfortable about my pending trip to Herzliya. I will have very limited time for tourist activities, but will be sure to get to know Herzliya very very well. I also look forward to visiting Jerusalem and Tel Aviv briefly, but will have to plan a future trip just for tourism.

Thanks,

Larry

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines