Heron Island Travel Answers

change location

How to get my boat there...

by havanzyl Online Now Feb 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Hi guys

I would like to visit Heron for the first time and have heard that it is possible to have my boat taken there by Ferry. Where can I get more info about this possibility?

Regards

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: How to get my boat there...

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Sorry dude, - are you kidding?

You think it would help to know what kind of boat you are talking about. Why not use the boat to get there? Sorry, but not having a boat size will invite counter questions. A yacct, a sailboat a motorboat, a dhingy or an inflatable in a box...?

Here is the ferry, - check with them as to your dilemma. You do know it is a private island and an invitation is needed, yes?

herronisland.org/home/sked/f...

They do have information regarding a "in-tow" trailer, which I will assume you are talking about. Read it carefully, as they have size/length and time of day requirements, as well as mandatory documents regarding invitains to the island.

herronisland.org/home/sked/b...

Here is the price list

herronisland.org/home/member...

Anyway, sorry to pick on you mate. Have a great time on Heron. It has been a while for me, but I looked up the updated information, as I only had a vague memory of the island transport. Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tropicrd's Profile Photo

by tropicrd Online Now Feb 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Are you aware that Heron Island is a protected coral cay island and is very small--approx 800 metres long and 300 metres at its widest point.
    The only ferry I know about is the daily catamaran that delivers fresh food and water supplies as the island has no natural facilities.This leaves daily from Gladstone and no way would you be able to take your own boat--no matter what size it is--sight seeing boats leave from the islands resort and no cameras are allowed.
    A car lock up in Gladstone is used for guests to Heron--and you need permission to go to the island as it is a national park with a resort--you could perhaps sail on your own to the island and if you do then you must take your own food and water--the catamaran usually takes two hours to get there.You still need to get permission as this place is stricklty protected.

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I should not have made fun in my response to you, - it came back to bite me in the a$$.........the information I gave you is for Herron Island, not Heron Island.

Strange that both of the islands, which are worlds apart need an invitation to go there.....sorry dude.

By the way, tropicrd's response is spot on, so take note. She is a local and she knows! Good luck!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Ha ha Erik

Tongue (or fingers?) working faster than brain.

Lol I saw that answer, and knew that it was going to come back and bite you on the ***

It is confusing, though- I agree.

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Well Lynne, I am not so sure the OP actually meant to write Heron instead of Herron. He appears to be aware of a ferry, and the one on Herron island does have a ferry that will take cars with "in-tow" trailers. Also needs an invitation. What the heck. I thought I was pretty slick, - looks like I slipped on the slick and landed on my face.........d:o)

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Have no experience taking a boat to He -single R -on. However, have been accosted and boarded by the "Reef Police" sailing within sight of the island to the north. Apparently there are exclusion zones around said isle where even sailing boats let alone ones with pollution producing motor(s)are not permitted. If you fail in your mission at Heron you may have better luck with the boat company taking campers to North West Island.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo

by tropicrd Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Erik,it is confusing with singular and plural R's lots of people think Herring island is Heron or Herron island.

Perhaps the poster can set us on the right track/island and then I am sure our wonderful VT members can help him/her.

It is ok to make some boo boos every now and then,after all you are human and we know your replys to posters are wonderful and very accurate.

Cheers Dorrise

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Can't be one rrrd Capricornia Heron?? Has to be Eric;'s multi ars*!!!

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Heh heh heh, - cute P........d:o)

The OP has not been back yet. If he does come back, let's hope he clarifies which island he is referring to.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines