Hereford Travel Answers

change location
cherylinreno's Profile Photo

Green Dragon Hotel on Broad St

by cherylinreno Online Now May 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM

HI, we will be staying in the Green Dragon Hotel in Hereford. WE have been told by our relative we will be seeing, that the hotel restaurant is closed. Does anyone have any suggestions for breakfast-nothing heavy and fatty laden. Am interested in more healthy styles that serve egg white omelettes or scrambles, with other alternatives. Also for dinner or late lunch-same thing-more chicken or fish, not heavy sauces, something more healthy and NO SUSHI suggestions please! Help, we arriving soon and want something we can get to easily on a Sunday morning! Thanks to anyone who responds!
Chery in Reno

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Re: Green Dragon Hotel on Broad St

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now May 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Even if the restaurant is closed at present I'm sure the hotel will have made some arrangements for their guests to have breakfast or, at the very least, be able to recommend a suitable alternative for you.

As for egg white omelettes and scrambles - you might have to ask your relative if you can use their kitchen. "Healthy" and "English breakfast" tend to be mutually incompatible terms and in my experience what's on offer in cafes that open for breakfast in English country towns is more in the line of "full English", bacon butties and builders tea (so strong you can stand a spoon up in it) than low fat yoghurt, fresh fruit, muesli and skinny decaf lattes.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now May 3, 2010 at 8:21 PM

It takes a local to have the inside knowledge. Are you home yet, Barbara?

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now May 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I should head for Hereford when I come to England - the only place open for breakfast in the town I stay in is Tubbie's Station Cafe - home of the aforementioned bacon butties and builders tea. Tudge's Bacon Butty sounds a much better proposition than Tubbie's Mother's Pride effort! Still no egg white omelettes though.

• cherylinreno's Profile Photo

by cherylinreno Online Now May 3, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Hi everyone and thank you for the helpful responses. My relative that lives in Hereford told us in email that the restaurant is closed. And I am sure, as mentioned in one of the replies-the restaurant has made arrangements. If anyone hears anything on that, please share! And I have no idea what bacon butties are-but bacon shall not pass my lips! ha! I suppose bread and jam will do just fine! Thank you for the helpful responses!

by cherylinreno Online Now May 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Am very interested in this posting of the All Saints Cafe...somehow I missed it the first time, skimming through the email replies. Thank you for suggesting this! Do you know if they serve breakfast? Again, thank you!

by cherylinreno Online Now May 3, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Hello, just checked online for the Saints Cafe. They are not open on Sunday, which is the first of two days we will be there. But the menu sounds wonderful! Anything else you might suggest? Thank you again!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now May 3, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I second All Saints...an entirely excellent place to eat and just up the road from the Green Dragon. I have some photos on my Hereford page/tips.

But the hotel will, of course, have made arrangements for its guest breakfasts. The fact that th restaurant is closed does not mean that the kitchens are, nnor that food is no longer served at all.

Many hotels will cook scrambled eggs, but I'm sure you will find enough cereals, toast, yoghurts and possibly fruit to satisfy you. Having a 'full English' is rarely compulsory. :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines