Herculaneum

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• travelling

Positano May 4, 2015 at 2:47 AM

Hi can anyone help with instructions to get from positano to La Spezia ,chique terra . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

more
    • Public Transport

Sorrento May 4, 2015 at 1:18 AM

Staying at St Agnello - would like to visit Positanio - Leics has said that public buses can get packed - will they be packed this week

Thinking of visiting Capri - don't like small boats so what are the options of taking a large regular ferry boat -and then getting the furnicular to Capri town - are these liable to be full this week

All answers gratefully received. Many thanx

more
    • Ravello Bus stop to my hotel

Ravello May 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM

When I get off the Sitae bus how far is it to my hotel the ll Ducato ll Ravello?

more
    • Taxi from Naples port to Airport

Naples May 22, 2015 at 8:52 AM

I will be coming back from Ischia to Naples by ferry (beverello port) soon and I need to get to Naples Airport. Is there a taxi stand or are taxis readily available from the port? Also how much shouldn't cost? Thanks

more
    • aussolo's Profile Photo

Paestum Ruins

Paestum May 19, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Thank you members for your information on transport to Paestum from Salerno. I had a look at the area around the station in Paestum and wonder is it safe for me to walk to the ruins on my own.

more
    • jetset05's Profile Photo

B&b in the old town of Sorrento

Sorrento May 18, 2015 at 3:08 AM

Hello i am looking for a B&b in the old town of Sorrento not to expensive whiv=ch i know is hard in this part of the world
      somewhere clear and in a good locaton handy for trains,ferrys ect
      Many thanks
      Jeff...

more
    • budget hotels in Sorrento

Sorrento May 9, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Hi, I'm coming down to Sorrento from Rome for a day or two and am looking for a good place to stay for relatively cheap, and ideally relatively close to the train station. Any ideas?
      thanks,
      Tom

more
    • Amalfi coast

Positano May 5, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Our family, parents with 3 teenagers, will stay in Positano early July. What is the best way to visit neighbouring Amalfi coast towns? Private boat, ferry, bus?
      Where is the best place for swimming or snorkelling?

more
    • 4 days from Rome to Amalfi Italy

Amalfi May 6, 2015 at 3:34 PM

I am in Rome Oct 7 at noon and need to be back early afternoon Oct 11th to join another tour, can someone suggest a tour of Pompei, Amalfi, Capri, Sorrento (or suggestions) 3 or 4 day tour of that area? Is Naples safe to tour?

more
    • LouM's Profile Photo

Pompeii true or false

Pompeii May 14, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Is it true that the preserved remains of a couple embracing was found at Pompeii or is that just the fantasy of movie makers? Thanks , Louise

more
    • Rome to Amalfi Italy transportation

Amalfi May 13, 2015 at 7:36 AM

I am travelling from Rome to Sorrento and wanted someone to check to make sure the information for our vacation there is accurate. My travel is in October 2015.

Fiumicino Airport to train station options - You can reach the Railway Central Station with a bus, train or cab from the airport.

Train - One Way Fare: about €14 Adult, The Leonardo Express Airport Train is a dedicated airport train taking 30 minutes to reach the centre of Rome (Termini Station) with a frequency every 30 minutes. The Leonardo Express is the fastest and most frequent and most comfortable public transport transfer between Fiumicino Airport and Central Rome (Termini Station). The service is a dedicated airport train and runs non stop, every 30 minutes. The capacity and ticketing facilities means no prior booking required, journey time of 30 minutes with trains every 30 minutes, the first departure from Roma Termini is at 5:50 and last at 22:50 and the first departure from the airport is at 6:38 and last at 23:38.

At Fiumicino Airport the train station is well signposted within the passenger terminals. It’s a 5-10 minute walk. The way is totally undercover using moving walkways, escalators/lifts. There are ticket machines, the official ticket desk and three or four other independent outlets that all sell tickets for the Leonardo Express train. Note: The station has three platforms and other local trains also terminate here. So do check which platform the next Leonardo Express train departs from, even if there is only one train in the station.

Rome Termini Station - Termini Station as well as being the main railway station for Rome also houses the main local bus station and is the hub where the Metro system radiates out from. It’s also the biggest district of hotel accommodation for all budgets. It’s a very convenient place to stay. The station is like a small city with a large shopping centre, countless restaurants and facilities like left luggage.

Rome to Sorrento - Rome take the high speed train to Naples cost about $43 Euro. Updated fares and cost at www.trenitalia.com choose "Napoli Centrale" as your destination. No needs to purchase tickets in advance just buy them from the ticket machine the day of travel. Ticket machines have English language options are easy to use.

Garibaldi / Central Station Naples - Central Station (Stazione Centrale) is the main Naples train station just to the east of the city centre. The Circumvesuviana Trains stop at a physically separate set of platforms to the main train station with their own separate ticket barriers. Circumvesuviana can be crowded in rush hours and when schools and colleges finish (2 p.m.). Best to avoid these times if you have bags. Although you never leave the Central Station building the Circumvesuviana platforms are called Garibaldi Station which can be confusing. Once you get off your train at Central Station you just turn left at the end of the platform and keep going following the signs above.

Naples to Sorrento - Sorrento can only be reached by taking the private 'Circumvesuviana Line' from Naples. Tickets can only be purchased locally upon arrival. You can buy tickets at the station but note you have to pay cash, no credit cards, unlike the national railways. Circumvesuviana trains depart out of the Piazza Garibaldi station in Naples which is conveniently located in the lower level of the same building as the Naples Centrale Station. Go down to the lower level and catch the local, Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento Cost about 5 euros. Trains between Naples and Sorrento depart once every half hour and take about 55 to 68 minutes in duration.

Sorrento to Pompeii - Getting to Pompeii and/or Herculaneum is very easy and inexpensive by train from Sorrento... Go to the station and ask for round-trip tickets on the Circumvesuviana: you'll want the Napoli-Sorrento line, trains run frequently (although not 24/7) and the trip will take about 30-40 minutes from either place. You'll want to get off at the POMPEII SCAVI-VILLA DEI MISTERI station (scavi means ruins), which is about 50 yards or so in front of the Porta Marina entrance. The POMPEII stop is for the "modern" city and it's a longer walk, although do-able, to an entrance from there.

The train station in Pompeii is a short walk from the city center and to the archeological site, this station is very small. The entrance to Pompeii is about 50m away from the station and there's a Tourist Information office further down the street. If you need any maps, it can't get wrong once you get off the train and walk from the station to the center. Pompeii is very small easy to navigate on foot

Circumvesuviana transport information - A 24 hr ticket at the Circumversuvian counter is available for €6.30 (per person). Remember to validate the ticket. Circumvesuviana trains don't have restrooms.

more
    • Local Guides

by Davefish Online Now Apr 3, 2006 at 9:34 PM

We are taking the train from Sorento to Herculaneum on Wednesday, May 31, 2006.
      We are a party of four and would like to get a guuide to show us through the ruins. Any suggestions on how to make arrangements before we get to Italy to get an English speaking guide? We found an article from the St. Petersburgh Times (2001) who were pleased with the guide Eetore.

3 Answers Apr 4, 2006 at 11:56 PM
    • Driving to Herculaneum from Sorrento

by running Online Now Jun 9, 2004 at 2:24 PM

Leaving for Italy next week. We will be staying just outside of Sorrento and are planning on perhaps going to Herculaneum in addition to Pompeii. What is the best way to get to Herculaneum from Sorrento? We will have a rental car. Thanks!

3 Answers Jun 11, 2004 at 12:37 PM
    • HERCULANEUM

by GASCOYNE Online Now Feb 18, 2003 at 6:51 AM

HOW FAR IS HERCULANEUM FROM ROME, AND WHAT IS THE BEST WAY OF GETTING THERE?

5 Answers Feb 18, 2003 at 8:31 PM