Hemavan Travel Answers

change location

australians coming to sweden, wanting to ski artic circle

by arctic-bound-ozzies Online Now Jul 13, 2004 at 3:02 AM

hi we are a couple of australians who are coming to sweden at the end of the year. We would like to do some downhill skiing in or close to the arctic circle, but don't know if the ski resorts will be open due to the lack of sunlight. We would like to ski there in the 1st or 2nd week of January 2005. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could tell us which resorts (if any) are open. If they use lights to extend the skiing time and what sort of snow we could expect (hopefully lots of powder). Any other information that you feel could be usefull would also be appreciated. thanks dan and kim (see ya on the slopes)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • jonkb's Profile Photo

Re: australians coming to sweden, wanting to ski artic circle

by jonkb Online Now Jul 13, 2004 at 5:26 AM

I doubt they'd close the winterarenas for the winter. There are a lot of hills prepared for skiing up north, and some of them have lights in the pists. Of pist: Well that's another matter. I found a private homepage listing a lot of hills in Sweden: lix.hisvux.se/~martin/svelan... Klick on the map and choose from the list. What you should be looking for is "Belysta nedfarter:" Meaning "Pists with light". Jon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Nickeb's Profile Photo

by Nickeb Online Now Jul 13, 2004 at 7:37 AM

Hi aussies! The best option is probably to go to riksgränsen www.riksgransen.nu wich is worldclass!! They have english option on their homepage you should plan to go week 2 or 3 as week one is connected to new years day. they also have good option for heliskiing. Also................Bring quite lot of money. take care.......... Niklas

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Jul 14, 2004 at 1:37 AM

Personally, I love Åre which is the only World Cup ski centre in Sweden and which has a great party feel and lots of things to do for those who DON'T ski as well. But of course that's not north of the Arctic Circle... Dark winters are often much worse in the SOUTH of Sweden since in the north, the large amount of snow lits up the landscape considerably, even though the sun is low. In the far south, we just have dark roads with sleet on :-( Not being a skier myself, but listening to my skiing friends and what I read in Swedish press, Kittelfjäll is probably another good alternative for you. Their own homepage is mostly in Swedish: http://www.kittelfjall.com/ (click on "vinter i Kittelfjäll" for winter images). Winter season starts 3 December this year. Heli-ski seems extremely cheap here for being Scandinavia. Here is a page where the first rating person is maybe not that impressed but others are: http://www.goski.com/rswe/1kittel.htm And here are some other ones: thealps.com/resort/resort.as... http://www.mikitravel.se/place133.HTML

• Re: australians coming to sweden, wanting to ski artic circle

by arctic-bound-ozzies Online Now Jul 15, 2004 at 3:57 AM

Thanks guys will have to check out the websites dan and kim

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines