Helsingborg Travel Answers

change location

What is there to see here?

by maldives44 Online Now Mar 13, 2005 at 12:43 AM

I am considering taking the ferry from Elsinore (Denmark) to Helsingborg and then taking the train to Malmo... Any recommendations or is this just a pass through?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • iver's Profile Photo

RE: What is there to see here?

by iver Online Now Mar 13, 2005 at 12:55 AM

its a very small coastal community , so helsingborg ain't much to see:)
    more or less just a quay for the ferry and a few houses:)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • deptlads's Profile Photo

by deptlads Online Now Mar 13, 2005 at 4:54 PM

Hi!

I wouldn't say that Helsingborg was a "small coastal community". It is quite a large town actually! You may well want to spend an hour or two here before going on to Malmo. It is worth going up the steps at the end of the main square to the castle at the top, from where you get great views across the Sound.

Have fun.

Andrew

• SwedishCouple's Profile Photo

by SwedishCouple Online Now Mar 15, 2005 at 2:36 AM

Helsingborg is a fairly big city (appr. 80.000 people). It has quite nice city centre with plenty of shops but no major tourist attractions.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: RE: What is there to see here?

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 15, 2005 at 4:53 AM

Yes it does! It has Dunkers Culture House which has been a runner up to international museum prices because of its innovative exhibitions and its architecture (same Danish architect as Sydney Opera House). It's next to the ferry terminal so very convenient: http://www.dunkerskulturhus.se/

I would call it one of Sweden's nicest cities and it's certainly not a fishing village!

Apart from that, you can indeed visit the Kärnan fortress on its hill, overlooking the strait and Denmark :) Further things to do include the former royal Sofiero Castle (short bus ride north from the ferry terminal) which you can see pics of in my page. Not that impressive a building, but has a lovely garden. There is also Fredriksdals Open Air Museum with local farmlife etc.

I don't know if you will be based in Elsinore or Copenhagen but if you will go all the way down to Malmö, you can buy a ticket called Öresund Rundt which is good value for money. You can hop on and off as much as you like for up to two days, as long as you go in one direction around the strait (i.e. ferry one way and the bridge the other way).

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 17, 2005 at 1:58 PM

Taste is so different - to me Helsingborg is much nicer than Malmö and I live here :)))

• Nickeb's Profile Photo

by Nickeb Online Now Mar 22, 2005 at 9:06 AM

I agree to sjalen, that Hbg. is nicer than Malmö. Btw. the nightlife is good in Helsingborg.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 22, 2005 at 1:47 PM

For a start, Malmö is Sweden's most segregated city. This shows in the very different parts of the city where some are sooo wealthy and some sooo poor. Not a typical Swedish thing.

Helsingborg has hills! Malmö is on a flat plain and the wind is everywhere. In Helsingborg you just go north for a short while and you are at the marvellous Kulla Peninsula with its mystical seacoves and pretty villages or east for a short while to Söderåsen National Park!

The Scanian dialect is also softer and easier to understand to an "up-Swede" than the Malmö "blur" :)))

But don't think I dislike Malmö - I enjoy life here - I would just have prefered to live in Helsingborg if it would have been as close to Copenhagen.

• RE: RE: What is there to see here?

by maldives44 Online Now Apr 9, 2005 at 10:57 AM

Thanks everyone for the input.

I did the Oresund trip (great advice about the Oresund ticket). Spent 2 hours in helsingborg incl lunch, and it was nice. Spent 2 hours walking around Lund and 1 hour+ in Malmo having a hot chocolate in a nice square. Malmo was my least favorite of all 3, but by the time I got there not much was happening. All in all enjoyed the Oresund trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines