Helen Travel Answers

change location

Some advice on Helen, please

by askantik Online Now Aug 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Hi guys (sorry for such a long post),

I'm looking at a surprise "romantic" trip (we aren't exactly overly romantic, so don't go too far with the "romantic" part) for me and my lady to the Helen area during Oktoberfest. However, I'd also like to get out and see Unicoi SP and Anna Ruby Falls.

Do you have any suggestions for nice places to stay? I don't necessarily mean 3 or 4 or 5 star hotels, but something maybe like a cabin? I've looked into a few (as well as the "cottages" and lodge at Unicoi SP) but it's hard to tell about these places online. A huge majority of these cabins look nice and lure you in with "$85/night!!" but then you find out that there's an additional 12% tax, a30/night cleaning fee, and that on weekends it's actually120/night or something crazy like that.

Anyone have any experience with staying in the lodge or cottages at Unicoi? What are some other things to do? And what is your general opinion of Helen? Some people seem to say it has it's charm but some say it's so touristy it's hard to have a good time. Even if it's bad, I'm mostly interested in the scenic views and a few beers. I'd love to go tubing or canoeing, but we'll be coming in October or November probably, so I'm sure that's out of the question. Any general advice or tips is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

Re: Some advice on Helen, please

by TexasDave Online Now Aug 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Supply and demand dictate that hotel rates will be much higher on the weekends for obvious reasons. We found it just as good to stay a little away from Helen itself and then drive in early in the day as by noon traffic gets very heavy and there is only one main road leading in and out of Helen. I have a few tips of things to do on my travel pages. Dahlonega is also worth some time. I've seen the cabins at Unicoi but have never stayed at them. I understand they get booked up a long time in advance although right now with the economy that might not be the case. I also have info on a very nice scenic drive up in the mountains. Hope that helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Re: Some advice on Helen, please

by rexvaughan Online Now Aug 29, 2009 at 6:47 PM

We stayed in the Castle Inn which is right in the middle of downtown Helen. It is fine and sits right on the Chattahoochee. It has a decent restaurant overlooking the river but is also close to a number of other options in Helen. There is no doubt that Helen is a bit touristy but still an enjoyable place. Also convenient to Anna Ruby and Unicoi. The views in that area are great and you can find lots of differnt beers. Apart from this hotel there are lots of other standard US motel options and all kinds of cabins. The Castle Inn does not have a reception desk and the contact info below puts you in touch with the agency that handles it whose offices are just a few blocks down the street.
    8287 S Main St
    Helen, GA 30545
    (706) 878-3140

• Re: Some advice on Helen, please

by askantik Online Now Oct 6, 2009 at 2:52 PM

TexasDave, sorry it's been so long since my post. What's the info you have on that scenic mountain drive? :)

• Re: Some advice on Helen, please

by askantik Online Now Oct 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Oh, I found it on your page. Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob at VT :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines