Heidelberg Travel Answers

change location

Best Boat Cruise out of Heidelberg?

by rjkowalski Online Now Mar 27, 2005 at 8:55 PM

We are spending a few days in Heidelberg in May. Besides the usual castle & walks, we'd like to take a tour down the river (I guess the Neckar since it's closest & we have no car). Any recommended boat tour to see some castles, maybe get off in another location & we could take a train back if that makes more sense? We are staying near the Old Bridge. Any advice is appreciated since I've not been there since I was One year old (born there).
Thanks,
Rick

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • abalada's Profile Photo

RE: Best Boat Cruise out of Heidelberg?

by abalada Online Now Mar 28, 2005 at 3:03 AM

There are a number of round trips offered.
    cvb-heidelberg.de/e925/e927/...

I would recommend to take a boat to Neckarsteinach. A small town with approx. 3.000 inhabitants and 4 castles (just a few meters from each other).
    neckarsteinach.com/content_s...
    Only a short introduction is available in English.
    neckarsteinach.com/downloads...

Evtl. it will be possible to take one of the next boats or just use the S-Bahn trains to travel back to Heidelberg. Or to travel further along the Neckar valley to other castles and towns.

Also worth a visit is Speyer (can be reached also by S-Bahn) on the Rhine.
    speyer.de/de/tourist/sehensw...

You can buy 24-hour tickets for Heidelberg or the whole VRN area
    vrn.de/frames/karten_plaene/... (map)
    A TICKET 24 PLUS (valid for 2-5 persons travelling together) for the whole VRN area is EUR 17,50. If bought on a Saturday it is valid till 3am of the next weekday. E.g. if bought on Sa. 14th May it is valid till Tu. 17th May 3am (as Monday is a public holiday).

This ticket covers all local public transport in this area (RE and RB trains, S-Bahn trains, trams, buses).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines