Heathrow Travel Answers

change location

Baggage

by Dungerwag15 Online Now Jul 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

HI, hopefully someone can help. Im looking at booking a flight with United Airlines travelling from Heathrow to San Francisco and then from there on to Hawaii. I cant get my head around this paying for baggage checked. Do i have to pay everytime i check in, or as i am flying Internationally do i only have to pay to check my bags on to Hawaii? Unfortunatly my flight home involes leaving Hawaii, travelling to LA for a 2 hour stopover to get my connecting flight back to Heathrow. Do i have to pay to check my bags in a total of 4 times over my trip or just the once? I cant make head nor tail of the advice on United's website. Please help... :(

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

Re: Baggage

by TexasDave Online Now Jul 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM

There is a chart on United's website under the 'travel information' tab and then:

Baggage information > Checked baggage service charges

It shows there is no charge for the 1st bag from Europe to the US,70 for the second bag. Assuming you have one ticket all the way to Hawaii, that is what governs. However you have 2 tickets: LHR-SFO and then SFO-HNL the 1st bag will be charged on the second second flight.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Yeah, as TexasDave says, you pay once per one-way "trip" assuming that all the segments are part of the same one-way trip, i.e., on the same ticket. Hopefully, this means that the airline you are taking from SFO to Hawaii is either United or in the same airline group. Hopefully, you did not go to some 3rd party cheap ticket site on the Internet and bought two separate tickets from two unrelated airlines, in which case, you'll be paying twice to get to Hawaii and twice to get back.

And why is it unfortunate that you are coming back through LA? If the ticket is a single ticket all the way through, it won't make any difference...unless I am missing something. I will say that 2 hours is not any too much time for a layover in LAX...I would have allowed more...I really don't like traveling through that airport...

Bill

• elainedarwiche's Profile Photo

by elainedarwiche Online Now Jul 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

twice-coming and going. Lucky for you hawaii isn't an international flight. Its part of the USA. I'd like to suggest this...some airlines do not charge a baggage fee for first class and or Envoy. You might be able to upgrade with the money you would spend for baggage. another suggestion. Don't over pack.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Jul 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Another suggestion - travel with an airline that doesn't charge for baggage. Plenty of them don't.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Jul 11, 2012 at 6:54 AM

If you are flying UA all the way you will not be charged for you first checked bag. When you arrive in San Francisco you will go through customs and immigration, you will collect you luggage for this process and once cleared you will have your luggage sent on to the second aircraft at no charge. When you leave Hawaii your luggage will be checked through to LHR and again the first piece will be at no charge. You are also allowed one carry on and one personal item such as a handbag or laptop etc.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines