Heathrow Travel Answers

change location
suziezed's Profile Photo

Time to exit (and enter) Heathrow given swine flu situation

by suziezed Online Now Jun 4, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Hi:

Those of you in the know - please consider my plans, outlined below, given the swine flu screening that may still be taking place for both arriving and departing passengers at Heathrow.

I am travelling from India (Trivandrum, Kerala) to Heathrow on Sunday, June 14, 2009. I will be going through Dubai and flying Emirates. I have a British passport. I had intended to stay with a friend in London on Sunday night but need to head back to the airport for a flight on Monday at 11:05 am (to Vancouver, BC, Canada).

I am wondering if I am being overly optimistic about getting out of the airport and to my friends house in any kind of reasonable time span (closest tube to my friend's place is Seven Sisters) - my flight is scheduled to arrive at 1840. Also wondering if I need to be back earlier than 3 hours pre-flight the next day (I can probably check in online at her house and I won't have any luggage to check as it will be going straight through from India).

Any help you can offer about how much disruption flu screening is causing at Heathrow will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Susan

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: Time to exit (and enter) Heathrow given swine flu situation

by planxty Online Now Jun 4, 2009 at 3:29 AM

Susan,

I have not been through LHR for a while but a check of their website shows no swine flu update since 14th May and makes no mention of screening at the airport.

An 1840 arrival will give you ample time to get to Seven sisters on the Tube. This website will help planning the journey.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Basically, you will need to take the Piccadilly Line and change to the Victoria Line at either Green Park or Kings Cross. It should take about an hour or slightly more.

Three hours will be ample to check in the next day.

Hope this assists.

fergy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Jun 4, 2009 at 7:19 AM

I flew into Heathrow last Friday for a brief stop in London and there was no swine flu screening that I saw, there was a mention of it on a sign but they didn't say anything about it. It may be different depending on where you are coming from and what passport you hold, I came in from Ukraine with a US passport and the customs and immigration process was exactly as it always is. We came into Terminal 5, it was a fair distance from the gate to immigration but immigration was very quick and we were into central London in about 1 1/2 hours including transport to Gloucester Rd. via tube.

We flew out of T5 on the way back to Chicago at around 6 pm on Sunday, we got to the airport 2 hours in advance and had plenty of time but we did have Fast Track since we were flying in business class. Everything is automated in T5, you get your boarding pass from a machine and then drop your bags or have someone check your documents before security. I saw the security line for non Fast Track and it was actually shorter than Fast Track. So I don't think you need any more than 3 hours.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Jun 4, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Oh and check the TFL website for planned maintenance work since you are coming on the weekend, I think the Victoria line was down the entire weekend we were there. You can search by date here:

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines