Heathrow Travel Answers

change location
londonlover's Profile Photo

Carry-on restrictions at Heathrow

by londonlover Online Now Aug 20, 2006 at 10:51 AM

OK, now I have a new question about Heathrow...Since the terror scare a couple weeks ago, I know the UK has new restrictions on carry-on bags, limiting each person to one small carry-on like "a small laptop bag," with specific dimensions of 45x35x16 cm. Now, I'm not carrying a laptop bag, but I would like to carry on my backpack. (Its a regular-size commuter pack, with dimensions adding up to the same length as the total length of the laptop size.) Has anybody flown through Heathrow since these rules were implemented, and do you know if they are discouraging backpacks?

Thanks,
Tara

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • dave.richards's Profile Photo

RE: Carry-on restrictions at Heathrow

by dave.richards Online Now Aug 20, 2006 at 11:45 AM

Not sure about Heathrow but a friend flew in to Gatwick last Wednesday using her Canadian passport. Because she is Iranian, she was held back, had all bags checked and only just fell short of a body check.
    She had to give all details as why she wanted to enter the Uk, who she would be staying with, what she did in Canada... the works. She had a large holdall and a back pack. She's here now, so things must have been ok. But, just be prepared for more thorough checks.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • BluBluBlu's Profile Photo

by BluBluBlu Online Now Aug 20, 2006 at 11:49 AM

The situation is changing almost day by day, and today they announced that further relaxation of restrictions is imminent, so I'd just log onto the Heathrow website just before you are due to fly. Re the bag, if it fits the current dimensions, then its ok, the 'style' is irrelevant.

Blu

• qaminari's Profile Photo

by qaminari Online Now Aug 20, 2006 at 2:14 PM

It isn't clear from your question whether you are arriving at Heathrow or departing from there (or both). The rules you need to know are those of the departure airport (which includes any airports you are departing from in transit), although in one case these also depend on destination (USA). The rules at UK airports apply to flights FROM, not TO the UK, so check the airport's website and/or with your airline.

• londonlover's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Carry-on restrictions at Heathrow

by londonlover Online Now Aug 20, 2006 at 6:57 PM

Yes, to clarify, I'm laying over at Heathrow, coming from Chicago and switching planes at Heathrow for Milan. I'm going off of British Airways' website, so I'll have to keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if restrictions change at all.

Thanks,
    Tara

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines