Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Travel Answers

change location

DAVE2120

by DAVE2120 Online Now Apr 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

HI. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE AMOUNT OF TIME I SHOULD ALLOW TO TRAVEL FROM SAN FRANCISCO TO CAMBRIA?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: DAVE2120

by bocmaxima Online Now Apr 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM

HTTP://MAPS.GOOGLE.COM
    CLICK "GET DIRECTIONS"

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Apr 14, 2011 at 7:26 PM

At the present time, Hwy 1 is blocked and closed off for repair of a slipoff on the Hwy between Big Sur and Bixby Bridgel You would have to go via Hwy101 to US 46 to Hwy 1 to get to Cambria. We are talking about 4 hours of driving. :-)

• Re: DAVE2120

by DAVE2120 Online Now Apr 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM

THANKS ANYWAY. I KNOW HOW TO USE G-EARTH BUT THE ACTUAL DRIVE TIMES OFTEN DIFFER FROM THE WRITTEN ONE. THANKS ANYWAY THOUGH. I APPRECIATE THE REPLY.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Apr 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Sorry that you had to be so rude. I drive that route about 4 times a year for the last 15 years. You asked how much time to allow for travel from San Francisco to Cambria. I would allow up to 4 hours. You have to consider traffic, gasoline stop and even a pit stop. If you want to drive at maximum speed and have no stops, then you could do it in less time but not by much. I stop for gasoline in King City and that takes about 5-10 minutes. A pit stop takes about the same. That is a savings of 20 minutes. Playing around with the speed limit and you might shave off another 15 minutes. I do know that the CA 46 is not a freeway and it can slow you down. I have driven on this section going from Cambria to Paso Robles while working in my business that deal with beverages. So, 4 hours the longest, unless you have accidents or road blockages or stopped by the Highway Patrol. 3 hours and 15 minutes roughly, if you keep the max speed limit with no stops. No one drives the same and no one can give you your exact time. You can allow the amount of time you want.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Larry, I think he was responding to the first reply, and not you.

The road is closed at the present time, so it would help to know when you plan on travelling. Larry is right in that it takes about four hours to get from SFO to Cambria, if tht is all you want to do. What you will be missing on the way is frankly insurmountable. The route that you are planning to do in one quick drive, is one of the most spectacular road trips in the world.

What you should do, - if the road has been repaired of course, - is to go down to Monterey/Carmel-by-the-Sea for a couple of nights, as there is just so much to see there and on the way there. If you would like some suggestions, just let me know.

From Monterey/Carmel, you should take a leisurely drive through the sights on the way, and take your time with several stops on the way, and end up at a hotel in Cambria to be ready for the next morning 8:00am tour up to the Hearst Castle. The above is the only sane way to do this. You can get away with only one night in Monterey/Carmel, if you absolutely have to, but I advise against it.

To come all this way only to rush down to Cambria, is not something to write home about. Keep an eye on the road repair. It will not be ready for at least April and May.

mercurynews.com/news/ci_1763...

(.....and don't shout......d:o)

• rkearns's Profile Photo

by rkearns Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM

i live in san francisco and was raised close to cambria. depending on where you are in s.f., it will take 3-3.5 hours on the 101 going 65-70mph. (there are even areas in between, after gilroy, where you can go 75). obviously, if you stop for gas and food, it's going to take longer. just plan to go in the middle of the day, not leaving san francisco at rush hour.

• rkearns's Profile Photo

by rkearns Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 11:45 AM

but larry, you're right. the 46 can have a lot of traffic and you could have a truck in front of you. i doubt that would really slow anyone down significantly though. are you in the wine industry?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument