Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Volcano House

by Christravels Online Now Apr 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Is VolcanoHouse still a good place to stay? Anyone stayed there and had thoughts as to whether the added cost is worthwile? Thanks for the help.

5 Answers Jun 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    • karen100's Profile Photo

Getting to and around the national park, and where to stay!

by karen100 Online Now Jan 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Hiya, me and a friend are going to Hawaii in a fortnight, and were going to spend most of our time on the big island. My job is to organise the volcano's bit! We were going to spend just one or two night over there. Was thinking a day trek, and a trip for the night lava.

Is it better to stay in the national park, or just travel in from Hilo?

Is there transport in the park from Hilo, or is it better to hire a car?

Is it right that trekking around the park is easy enough or your own, or should we go on a group. We're young-ish and fitt-ish :).

Sorry to ask such silly questions _ work is so busy and I'm struggling to find anything that really answers my questions!

Thank you!
      Karen

4 Answers Feb 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    • Jesgrew's Profile Photo

Day Trip from Honalulu September 2010

by Jesgrew Online Now May 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM

We are considering making a day visit via a RT flight from Honolulu to Hilo, renting a car to drive up to the park. Would this be better, or say rewarding/cheaper, than signing on to one of the many tours we see listed?

Also, What should we expect along the way? Or Not miss and still make it back to Hilo for the Flight back?

Auto rental rates?

Thanks!!

3 Answers Jun 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    • CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Volcanoes National Park questions

by CruisingGoddess Online Now Mar 4, 2010 at 9:40 AM

A few questions about VNP...

1. This will probably sound weird but my husband wants to "poke a stick at the lava". Is this possible in Volcanoes National Park?

2. What would recommend we see within the park in one day? We are not hikers but can handle shorter, easy walks/hikes (less than a mile).

Thanks in advance!

3 Answers Oct 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    • car or bus?

by bfiggefox Online Now Mar 23, 2008 at 5:33 PM

can I stay at Volcano House hotel without renting a car? Can I see the national parks without renting a car?

3 Answers Mar 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM
    • tsukata's Profile Photo

If you had to choose between overnight and helicopter, which would you choose?

by tsukata Online Now Nov 15, 2006 at 10:27 AM

This is a follow-up to my previous question. So, for viewing the lava flow, if you had to choose between staying overnight in/near the park (with intent of getting as close as your athleticism allows to the flow and/or viewing it from lookouts once it's dark) or taking a helicopter tour, which would you choose? Which offers the better experience?

2 Answers Nov 17, 2006 at 1:32 AM
    • tsukata's Profile Photo

Can the park be done as a day trip in/out of Hilo?

by tsukata Online Now Nov 14, 2006 at 8:06 PM

Everything I can find seems to talk about viewing the lava flows at night. We're staying in Honolulu, and we can't really go to the big island for more than a day. So, nighttime viewing is out. We're trying to decide if it's worth the flight expense to island hop over to Hawaii to see the lava flow area.

I should note that our major reason to go would be the volcanic activity. We're not big nature lovers generally...it just seems like this Hawaii trip is our only shot to get near volcanic activity. But then...we don't want to do it if the only way worth doing it is an overnight and we're not staying overnight...we'll just be mad at ourselves for not "doing it for real."

There's also the time factor. If we arrive at 9:30am and have to be back at the airport at 4:30pm, do we even have enough time to do anything worthwhile?

3 Answers Nov 16, 2006 at 12:55 AM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Need directions to trail to Lava Flow on Big Island

by swdke Online Now Oct 5, 2006 at 6:23 AM

I am looking for directions on where I need to drive, park, hike to get to see the lava flow? How far of a hike is it? I appreciate any information you can share. Thanks.

5 Answers May 5, 2008 at 1:03 PM
    • seeing the lava flow at night

by lewicki Online Now Feb 23, 2005 at 1:26 AM

Hi I just found this area -- also posted this question in the general Big Island forum. I am confused regarding viewing the lava flow at night. Is a guide necessary? Has anyone taken the Arnott's Lodge tour? It is long and rather expensive. Is it worth it? How long would it take to walk to a suitable viewing spot? Thanks for any info. We are going in one month.

18 Answers Mar 8, 2005 at 9:04 AM
    • What to wear at Kilauea?

by 147418 Online Now Jan 20, 2004 at 1:54 AM

Hello all, Will be on the Big Island Feb. 20th and going to the Volcano on the 22nd. Any suggestions on what clothing to wear that time of year? And is any lava really visible right now? And lastly, any opinions on Volcano House? We will be spending one night there. Thank you! K

6 Answers Feb 28, 2005 at 8:18 AM