Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Travel Answers

change location
Jesgrew's Profile Photo

Day Trip from Honalulu September 2010

by Jesgrew Online Now May 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM

We are considering making a day visit via a RT flight from Honolulu to Hilo, renting a car to drive up to the park. Would this be better, or say rewarding/cheaper, than signing on to one of the many tours we see listed?

Also, What should we expect along the way? Or Not miss and still make it back to Hilo for the Flight back?

Auto rental rates?

Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Re: Day Trip from Honalulu September 2010

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now May 31, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Robert, I'm not surprised you haven't received any responses yet.....

think about it: how would anyone else know WHAT to compare, between "one of the many tours" and a "rental car"??? WHICH tours?? WHAT SIZE car?? surely you know how to look up the cost of a rental car in Hilo and choose the size you want?? and then maybe you can compare that with a tour that would interest you.

Buena Suerte!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jesgrew's Profile Photo

by Jesgrew Online Now May 31, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I found the answer to this question, without the sarcastic remarks, at tripadvisor.com. VT has always been very informative otherwise. Casual, or got lucky, travelers like my self do ask mundane questions, and that is what I thought VT was created to resolve via community sharing. Advice: Get the team to write an updated destination report, local situations, car rental reality, public transportation, tourist gotcha's, maybe some popular not to be missed agendas for 3 day / 5 day visits. Whale watching trip, or just go for a boar ride around the island where you may see whales anyway? Yes Honolulu is a giant tourist trap, like Vegas, but stale remarks don't help. Just a working guy, lucky to have the chance to go to Hawaii.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Robert, sorry if I offended you so....I do not consider my reply as sarcastic, but as honest and direct. of course someone else might have responded about 'what you could expect along the way'; not having been there for 25 yrs, my memory wasn't good enough to do so. But my point was that with an open-ended query as to whether one thing is "better" or "cheaper" than another, that you were expecting someone else to do a lot of work without knowing any of YOUR parameters.

I love Hawaii and know you will have a great time!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hawaii Volcanoes National Park