Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Travel Answers

change location
CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Volcanoes National Park questions

by CruisingGoddess Online Now Mar 4, 2010 at 9:40 AM

A few questions about VNP...

1. This will probably sound weird but my husband wants to "poke a stick at the lava". Is this possible in Volcanoes National Park?

2. What would recommend we see within the park in one day? We are not hikers but can handle shorter, easy walks/hikes (less than a mile).

Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Volcanoes National Park questions

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 4, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Kapu, you would be pupule to poke a stick at the Goddess Pele. Many have done it, but it could bring bad luck. See story: naturalbornhikers.com/Banana...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • trvlrtom's Profile Photo

Re: Volcanoes National Park questions

by trvlrtom Online Now Mar 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM

The tourist center at the park has good info about where to go and what to see. The drive to the coast, where the lava rock poured over the road, is an interesting place. You can't drive the whole route anymore, and it is fun to walk along it for a while. Before reaching this place there is a place to stop and walk a short way to see fascinating petroglyphs in the rock.

• Re: Volcanoes National Park questions

by AussieBecca Online Now Oct 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I'm interested in learning more about "lava etiquette". My husband and I were in Hawai'i recently and visited the volcano on a tour. We did see other large tour groups armed with sticks, whose sole purpose it seemed was to poke the living heck out of any red lava available. At first it seemed like a fun thing to do, but I must say after seeing this frenzy it did seem wrong to us. Our tour guide told us it's considered an insult. Just curious.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hawaii Volcanoes National Park