Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Travel Answers

change location

car or bus?

by bfiggefox Online Now Mar 23, 2008 at 5:33 PM

can I stay at Volcano House hotel without renting a car? Can I see the national parks without renting a car?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: car or bus?

by travelmad478 Online Now Mar 24, 2008 at 4:38 AM

If you are flying into Hilo, I would imagine that Volcano House would have some sort of transport options to get you to the hotel--but as the poster above says, it is pretty far (about an hour drive) and you would pay a lot for the service. It is also possible to do organized tours of Volcanoes National Park, but I really wouldn't recommend it. They really rush you through, which is a terrible way to see this very interesting place. You will be much better off renting a car on the Big Island (and everywhere in Hawaii, really).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 24, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Aloha. Yes, you can stay without a car, but I do not advise it. You can walk around the premise but that is about it, without a car. Getting to the Hotel via Hilo airport without a car takes a taxi which can be expensive, maybe a shuttle service, but I do not know of any public shuttle service on the Big Island. The only one I know of is Alpha Star Taxi. Do not know their rates for the 29 mile drive, one way. You could call them to find out the rate at 808 885-4771 or check with the hotel. The Volcano House has a great prime rib dinner, must reserve to make sure you get the meal, they run out fast. Prime rib is coated in Hawaiian Sea Salt and cracked pepper. Tender and delicious. Also, I enjoyed the koa wood rocker in the room with the primitive decor. It made me think of Mark Twain's visit, so long ago. Don't miss the massive lava fireplace in the lobby with Madame Pele engraved above the hearth. This fireplace has been lit since the 1800's without going out, even during the fire the Hotel had in the past.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I found a website that might be of help on Taxi rates and car rentals. See site: www6.hawaii.gov/dot/airports...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hawaii Volcanoes National Park