Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Travel Answers

change location

What to wear at Kilauea?

by 147418 Online Now Jan 20, 2004 at 1:54 AM

Hello all, Will be on the Big Island Feb. 20th and going to the Volcano on the 22nd. Any suggestions on what clothing to wear that time of year? And is any lava really visible right now? And lastly, any opinions on Volcano House? We will be spending one night there. Thank you! K

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Re: What to wear at Kilauea?

by BlueCollar Online Now Jan 17, 2004 at 1:39 AM

Keep in mind that the elevation at the entrance to HVNP (which is where the V. House is located) is about 3500 feet. It will be cool there. On our last trip we stayed at a B&B just outside the park (same elev.) and it was in the mid 50's (F.) in the AM. But what made it worse was that it rained every day there. Depending on wind direction, you may be faced with the same (south or southeastern winds bring clouds and rain up the mountain to this area). If it was made of cloth, it was cold and damp. That's a horrible feeling, IMHO. As a testament to the amount of rain, the B&B used a catchment system for fresh water and they said it stays full. For lava flow updates, go to www.arnottslodge.com. They also do a wonderful guided hike out to see the fresh, red hot, flowing lava. We used them on two trips and they did a great job (ask for Ian as a guide, although Mr. Arnott also leads the hikes sometimes). I just checked their site the other day and, unfortunately, the lava is now flowing too far from any access point to be easily hiked. However, the flow is dynamic and will change. Also, they said that Pu`u O`o (the vent that is currently spewing all of the lava) was fountaining which means you definitely need to do a helicopter tour. Go to www.tropicalhelicopters.com. Their FEEL THE HEAT tour was awesome. They do the trip with doors of the aircraft removed! What a ride! It was well worth the expense. Also, be sure to go to www.wizardpub.com and get the guidebook Hawaii The Big Island Revealed. You can find it at most bookstores. It's worth its weight in gold. I hope you have a great trip! BCT

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TropicGirl77's Profile Photo

Re: What to wear at Kilauea?

by TropicGirl77 Online Now Jan 17, 2004 at 4:17 AM

Blue Collar was right about the lack of access to any visible lava flow at the moment. We were there for Christmas, and nothing happening that the general public could see. The weather can be fickle, so stick to the basic layering method. Bring one of those light weight rain coats ... We also stayed at the Volcano House (Ohia House) for two nights. We enjoyed it ... but posh it is not. It was very cool by Hawaii standards in December, so we had the heater on that was provided in the room. There is a fireplace in the lobby that was cozy. There are books to read in each room, and games to borrow from the front desk. The hotel restaurant is a bit high priced for us, so we didn't eat there. Hope your vacation is all you expect it to be! ALOHA

• Re: Re: What to wear at Kilauea?

by 147418 Online Now Jan 19, 2004 at 5:57 AM

Thank you BCT so much for your great response to my question. Sounds like jeans, a sweatshirt and a rain poncho might be in order and that's exactly what I needed to know. And thank you for the great web sites. I may just have to do that "Feel the Heat" tour. I have never been in a helicoptor so might as well go all out on my first ride. If the lava doesn't make a more prominent appearance by the time we go, sounds like the helicoptor is the best choice. Your information will be extremely helpful and make our visit much more enjoyable so thanks again. K

• Re: Re: What to wear at Kilauea?

by 147418 Online Now Jan 19, 2004 at 6:01 AM

Thanks for your quick response and I will follow your advice and layer. I think I will buy one of those disposable rain ponchos to wear over a sweatshirt and jeans. Hopefully good sturdy athletic shoes will be enough... but if the lava is still unreachable by the time we go, we might just do the helicopter tour. Thanks for you tips on Volcano house too. I had heard their restaurant was expensive, so don't know if we will eat there or drive outside the park. K

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Re: Re: What to wear at Kilauea?

by BlueCollar Online Now Jan 20, 2004 at 1:54 AM

As a follow-up: Your choices of eating establishments are minimal inside or outside the park. The guidebook I suggested covers it well. Food is a small expense when compared to the overall expense of getting here. But expense is relative to your usual. The book rates the restaurant at Volcano House as an "Ono", which is their highest rating. Price range for dinner:15-$30. Reservations strongly recommended. I can also agree with the book that the Lava Rock Internet Cafe is great. Good food at good prices. It's right outside the park on Old Volcano Road (off the main hwy: Hwy 11).

• frank_delargy's Profile Photo

RE: What to wear at Kilauea?

by frank_delargy Online Now Feb 28, 2005 at 8:18 AM

You lucked out on lava watching... I was there on the 22nd. An excellent day for lava!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hawaii Volcanoes National Park