Hawaii (State of) Travel Answers

change location
Jhoolah's Profile Photo

Help !!! hawaii ?? Is it what I'm looking for ???

by Jhoolah Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Hi there I am 29 and planning my 30th birthday in September time ...... 2/ 3weeks I'm torn where to go .

It's between

1)hawaii and LA

2) Philippines and Singapore

I'm swaying towards Hawaii due to se Asia rainy season is in September . But I'm unsure if Hawaii is what I am looking for .

I'm after beautiful beaches not full of crowds, some less touristy places, snorkelling, exploring , good food and most of all the WOW factor, and that hawaii feeling ?

Can I get all this in Hawaii ? If so where do I go ? Best island for me ?

Thanks for your help .

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Help !!! hawaii ?? Is it what I'm looking for ???

by Homanded Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Hello and welcome to VT.

Yes to all of the above regarding Hawaii - also, because of how small the islands are, in 2-3 weeks time you can visit several islands.

We spent 3 weeks and visited Oahu, Big Island, Maui and Kauai.
    Our favorite was Maui with Big Island followed by Kauai being #2 and 3 respectively.

You can spend a couple of days in Oahu (crowded and very cosmopolitan, not unlike Miami where we live).
    Big Island - 4 days to visit Volcano National Park and see volcanos and lava flows.
    Spend 1 week in Maui - rent a car and get to see the island including and not to be missed Hana highway, O'heo gulch/7 sacred pools, I'ao Needle state park, etc.
    Finally, finish off in Kauai which is the "Garden Isle" and most nature filled.

Because of how the Hawaiian islands are laid out - a secluded beach is everywhere you travel to.
    If you pull up to a beach, simply drive a little bit further on or hike a ways and you are assured a tranquil spot.
    Scenery is gorgeous and the water temp and clarity very nice.
    People are very friendly, food is great - albeit a bit expensive and as the islands are so small you can get from one area of the island to another in as little as 1-2 hours.
    Finally, we loved the diversity in sand - you will find black, green, red, yellow and white sands all throughout the islands. There is even a glass beach made up of multiple colored little shards of glass which have eroded into smooth pebbles - truly spectacular.

Homer

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I can't speak about Singapore vs the Philippines, but I would vote for Hawaii over L.A.

Re: touristy. Because of the popularity of Hawaii, none of the islands is totally secluded; you're always going to have to share the space with other travelers. But you can go to the beach in the early morning, when everyone else is sleeping in, and go sightseeing in the afternoon, and thus avoid a lot of the crowds. September is a good time, too, because the families have gone hom!

The windward side of Oahu is gorgeous and only 11 miles from downtown Honolulu, where you can go for your "fix" of good food and music and museums. If you're interested in that area, take a look at the Kailua pages our members have written. There's a search box at the top right of your screen.

I also love Kauai. It's quieter than the other islands and is known for its spectacular, garden-like beauty.

But really, you can't go wrong with any of the islands. And as Homer has said, you can visit several islands in the time you have.

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM

If you don't mind how overdeveloped and commercial Hawaii has become then the scenery is beautiful and worth a visit as long as you can go to some of the outlying areas that still retain some of their originality.

I'd rather go to the Cook Islands or Bali.

• stamporama's Profile Photo

by stamporama Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

You're right about Sept. being rainy here in the Philippines and while we certainly have beaches that have the qualities you're looking for, it's not the best time to go.

• Sevsa's Profile Photo

by Sevsa Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

The Philippines has great beaches and since it is larger with hundreds of islands you would have more options than in Hawaii, however as mentioned the rainy season is a factor. Singapore has very few beaches and the ones there aren't very good.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Hawaii (State of) Travel Answer Locations