Hawaii (State of) Travel Answers

change location

Best time to visit

by jackberry Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Which period between 1st Dec - end Mar is the best time to visit Hawaii. We plan on 4 days Oahu, 5 days Maui & 5 days Big Island? This will be our first time to your beautiful islands. Is it worth while to rent a car on Oahu, we will definitely for Big Isl & Maui? I have a ton of questions but I think I can get most info from the forum
Thanks for your responses
Jack

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Best time to visit

by Homanded Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM

First off, welcome to VT.

You seem set on travel between December and March - the most popular time for Hawaii.
    It is also not the best time to be there for a couple of main reasons:
    Weather and high touristy rates on hotels, etc.
    You're going to encounter a lot more crowds and pay quite a bit more money.
    Things sell out quickly including cars and such so book early.

We went in June and it was fantastic!
    This is also the best weather according to all the guide books - ironic since it is much quieter in the island then.
    Airfares are also cheaper and you can get some pretty sweet deals on packages.

You'll need to define "best" - you seem to only be able to travel on the months you mention?

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kellinwood's Profile Photo

by kellinwood Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

The winter months are my favorite time in Hawaii since the weather is still warm but not as hot or humid as it can sometimes get during the summer months. It does rain more during this period than at other times of the year, with the most wettest month being December.

This is also the time for big surf on the northern shores of the islands. Surf competitions are held regularly from mid-November through early February on the north shore of Oahu.

I think its worth while to rent a car on Oahu, since it will allow you to explore areas of the island outside of Waikiki without the constraints of public transportation or group tours.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Aloha. You ask: "Which period between 1st Dec - end Mar is the best time to visit Hawaii" Wait until the crowds of the Christmas/New Year's Day season is over. It does rain a little or a lot most days and the sun does shine most days. Hard to predict which is the wettest time as it is up to the Trade Winds. I have always found that the two weeks before Spring Break that colleges and all schools in general throughout the USA take, are the quietest with tourists as many are waiting for the Spring Break to take their families or in case of college students, their friends to the Islands. Again, cannot guesstimate the rain totals, while lovely weather usually is found, but as I said before it is hard to predict the Trade Wins. Anyway, a good Hawaiian rainbow is hard to beat. Unless a monsoon is happening, Hawaii is beautiful rain or shine. :-)

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM

The different islands have different weather patterns, and areas of an island will have drastically different weather patterns. I prefer the SE area of Maui where it always seems to be warm, and if there is rain it is short lived. Much wetter in Ioa Valley and Hana of course. Is the the best time to go, of the ten plus times I have been to Hawaii, a couple of time there was a little more rain than average, but not bad. I have had friends who have been stuck in major storms, but I don't know if you can predict those. Otherwise, stay away during the holidays when kids are out of school, i.e., the last two weeks of the year or over Easter break and mid summer.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Hawaii (State of) Travel Answer Locations