Hawaii Kai Travel Answers

change location

Rental car?

by phsuan Online Now Aug 15, 2008 at 4:27 AM

We're staying at a beach house in Hawaii Kai with 3 toddlers next week and was wondering if we should rent a car at the airport (honolulu) or if there are cheaper places close to Hawaii Kai to rent a car. Do you think we'll need a car for the entire 2 weeks to entertain the little ones?

Also, does anyone else have any other tips for toddler friendly activities that wouldn't involve a car?

Cheers,

Pamela

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Hopkid's Profile Photo

Re: Rental car?

by Hopkid Online Now Aug 15, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Hawaii Kai is pretty suburban so walking to sites is not typically an option although I remember walking up the hill to the Haunauma Bay entrance as a kid from my aunt and uncle's house in Hawaii Kai. Were you planning on using public transportation for the most part? How were you planning on getting to the beach house?

A quick search of Enterprise's rental locations shows that closest one to Hawaii Kai is in town at 445 Seaside. You might call them and see if they'd be willing to pick you up and bring you to the office to take care of the paperwork.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • rmdw's Profile Photo

Re: Rental car?

by rmdw Online Now Aug 15, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I was in Honolulu for a month but am not as familiar with the area where you're staying. It's clearly not central Honolulu so a car is "more" necessary. With that said, I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

During the 30 days I was there, we only rented a car for 4 of them and it worked out fine. You should definitely check out http://thebus.org to see the availability of public transportation near where you are. If there's a bus stop close and the frequency is alright then consider using it most of the time.

For car rentals, I'd recommend checking out http://hotwire.com I just did for you and found rentals as low as12.95 per day. If you can use a special credit card to waive the insurance then that's a pretty minimal amount to have a car around, which you can use when you like.

Robert

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines