Hawaii, Island of Travel Answers

change location
angelsmom13's Profile Photo

Got to get away.

by angelsmom13 Online Now Feb 21, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I want to go camping in Hawaii,I don't care which island.I will be back packing.I will take some stuff with me but I will have to get some there.I don't want to have to rent a car if I don't have to.Are there any camp grounds within walking distance of public transportation?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Re: Got to get away.

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Wow this is a tough one! Usually most people rent a car that go camping in one of the islands. Oahu will be the most accessible by public transport but Maui would be my favorite place to camp if I had a car so I will focus on Oahu.

One place that comes to mind is the Sand Island State Recreation Area very near downtown Honolulu on Oahu. It is located just off the Nimitz Freeway on the Sand Island Access Area. The other site on Oahu that is Ahupua'a O Kahana State Park which is a more remote location just off the Kamehameha Highway. The cost of camping for one night is 18. I have provided the guide for how to get a camping permit and some information on four of the state parks in Hawaii. I have excluded any consideration of private campgrounds.

hawaiistateparks.org/index.c...

If you decide Oahu is too urban for you, here is a guide to camping on Maui that I have used. The sites at Haleakala National Park are awesome.

alternative-hawaii.com/accom...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines