change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• kc4ness's Profile Photo

Place to live?

Hilo Apr 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I am visiting here in May to explore the possibility of living there permanently for a few years. I know there is more rain on this side of the island and it is windier also danger of tsunamis. From my research I believe that the rain is mainly in the late night hours and early morning. Is this mostly true? I know apartment rentals are also less pricey than the western side. I would appreciate any and all input, thoughts and ideas. I will also be checking out the western side.
      Thank you,
      Ken

more
    • Kona/Hilo, Hawaii

Hilo Apr 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I'm wondering if I"m able to fit all of this in, in one day. I'll be staying in Kona but would like to drive the Hamakua Coast, 4 mile scenic route and see Akaka Falls. I also would like to see Hiilawe Falls and Waipi'o Valley. Last stop would be Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the Black Sand Beach. I know it's 2 hr drive from Kona to Hilo. Any information would be great.

more
    • kc4ness's Profile Photo

Place to live?

Hilo Apr 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I am visiting here in May to explore the possibility of living there permanently for a few years. I know there is more rain on this side of the island and it is windier also danger of tsunamis. From my research I believe that the rain is mainly in the late night hours and early morning. Is this mostly true? I know apartment rentals are also less pricey than the western side. I would appreciate any and all input, thoughts and ideas. I will also be checking out the western side.
      Thank you,
      Ken

2 Answers Apr 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    • Kona/Hilo, Hawaii

Hilo Apr 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I'm wondering if I"m able to fit all of this in, in one day. I'll be staying in Kona but would like to drive the Hamakua Coast, 4 mile scenic route and see Akaka Falls. I also would like to see Hiilawe Falls and Waipi'o Valley. Last stop would be Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the Black Sand Beach. I know it's 2 hr drive from Kona to Hilo. Any information would be great.

6 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 2:39 AM
    • Saar123's Profile Photo

Budget place to stay in Hilo

Hilo Feb 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Hi,

I (37 years old, single traveler) will be traveling to Hilo in May. I am looking for a nice budget (no hostel) place to stay.
      Can anyone recommend me?

Thanks!!

3 Answers Mar 2, 2014 at 1:52 AM
    • Quilt shops on Hawaii Island

Kealakekua Dec 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Where may I buy Hawaiian fabric to make a quilt (on the Big Island)?

• Mauna Kea

Hawaii (Big Island) Dec 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Hello. We will be on the Big Island during Christmas week. We are planning to take a tour to Mauna Kea. Can you suggest a good tour company we should use? Paradise Safaris Inc. seems to have good reviews but we would like to hear your experience.

Thanks
      Maz

5 Answers Dec 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    • hairpin's Profile Photo

Weather around the island

Hawaii (Big Island) Nov 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I'm looking for advice as to whether to stay near Kailua-Kona or if I want to go north a bit to Waikoloa instead of Kailua-Kona. Wiakoloa was only recommended Nov-Dec in the Lonely Planet guide and I have no idea why. It seems like Waikoloa has more white sand beach/resorts in that area, so it seemed nice.

I'm planning on going a week in either June, July, or August. And spending 4 days on NW side Kona area, and 4 days in SE Hilo area near Volcano or Pohoa near the shore. Last trip to Hawaii, my family went to Maui and we really liked the Kaanapali area. But we didn't like Kihei as it was hotter. My family members are unfortunately allergic to the sun (not kidding) and broke out in bad skin rashes in Kihei from the heat. So I'm trying to find a spot that is beautiful, hopefully ocean views, but where heat won't be a problem.

Any advice you can give is great. At least Volcano, HI should be cool because of the elevation!

1 Answer Nov 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    • Helen-Tracey's Profile Photo

Things To See & Do

Hawaii (Big Island) Oct 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Hello,
      We are going to Hawaii in Jan 2014 for 11 days. Just wondering what is the best things to See & Do?
      We would like to go & see the usual attractions, We are just wondering who is the best tour company to do this with?
      Is the Go Oahu Card worth purchasing ?
      Also we want to go over to the Big Island & see the Volcano Park & hopefully Lava flowing in a day trip ...Thoughts ?

Thanking you in advance for your response

Helen & Tracey

5 Answers Jan 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM
    • Cuts from lava rock

Kailua-Kona Oct 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM

My wife fell when we were in Kailua Kona and cut her self (more like a puncture) on lava rock and it is quite infected any suggestions besides neosporene

6 Answers Oct 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    • Snorkeling on the Big Island

Hawaii, Island of Oct 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Hi, We are staying on the Big Island for two weeks. One week near Hilo and the other near Kona. We are avid snorkelers and are looking for good sites on both sides of the Island that are usually nice during the middle of October. We plan to hit the obvious places outlined in many guides, however there are some spots tourists are not aware of that are excellent. Can you help me locate these places. Much Thanks!

5 Answers Oct 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    • Kauai, Maui, Big Island

Hawaii (Big Island) Sep 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM

We are a family of five (2 adults, 16, 14, 11 year old kids). We are just starting to research our trip Planning on two weeks (at least) end of June/beginning of July. We hope to go to Kauai, Maui and the Big Island. Given that time frame, how many days per island would you recommend? We will be flying from Canada. Do you recommend a island/airport to fly into and out of? Will do inter-island flights between. For Kauai, areas of interest are Waimea Canyon, Na Pali Coast, Wailua Falls, Fern Grotto and Hanakapiai Beach...sorry if spelling these wrong!!! Maui we are interested in Road to Hana, Haleakala Volcano and Pipiwai Trail. Lastly, the Big Island, sites include staying in Hilo and doing the waterfalls (Akaka Falls and more), Hawaii Volcano National Park then over to Kona area for snorkelling. I realized the spots listed are areas highlighted in other posts and not sure if we can do all that, plus want to rest and relax, but thought I would write the "wish list". Most interested in thoughts people have on number of days per island to give us snap shot of these three islands. THANKS!!!!!

3 Answers Sep 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    • Radiation and water contamination

Hawaii (Big Island) Sep 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Where can i find out if the water in Hawaii is contaminated with radiation and/or how bad is it?

6 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    • sylv2's Profile Photo

Pearl Harbour

Hawaii, Island of Sep 22, 2013 at 4:55 AM

We will be in Honolulu next week and would like to visit Pearl Harbour. The tours only seem to take you to see the Arizona Memorial but my husband would like to see inside the Bowfin and visit the Missouri as well. We are too late to buy tickets on line and do not want to get there at 6am to buy tickets then wait a few hours to get in.
      I suppose we could take the cheapest tour we could find and just stay on after the visit to the Arizona Memorial and then make our own way back by bus.
      Any suggestions or comments?
      Thanks

5 Answers Sep 22, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    • help me please!

Hilo Sep 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Hello everybody. I´m Kenay from Colombia. I was looking for images of places to live and I found a suitable place. can someone helping me to know which activities people do in Hilo- Hawaii? and some information about economy, weather, universties, whatever information necesary to live there. thanks so much for your answers.

2 Answers Nov 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    • stacig's Profile Photo

Where to eat, and must-sees in Volcano

Volcano Sep 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM

We are staying at the Lotus Garden Cottages for 3 days before joining a group in Kona. We wanted to see this side of the island, never having been there before. We love to hike and explore - what are the "must-see" experiences that a local recommends? And where to eat? I have to admit I panicked a little when I booked first and then looked at restaurant options... :-/

• Driving from Hilo to Waikola

Hawaii (Big Island) Aug 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

My husband, 17 year old son and I will be staying in Hilo for 2 nights before we head over to the Kona side for the rest of our vacation. I would like to know what is the best route to take for our drive to Waikola. If you could also include suggestions for stops along the way that would be great.
      Many thanks - Jane

5 Answers Aug 13, 2013 at 2:59 AM
    • Altitude sickness

Hawaii (Big Island) Aug 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

My daughter is a normal, fit 14 year old. Will she be able to handle going past the Visitor centre?

6 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    • rentedcow's Profile Photo

The Best Luau ?

Hawaii (Big Island) Jul 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Hello Friends,

My family are going to the Big Island in a week. We are looking for assistance in finding a Luau.

Thanks Alex

3 Answers Jul 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    • A email address for the zales jewellers shop in Hilo

Hilo May 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Hi I am needing to contact someone one from the Zales jewellers shop there in Hilo. Email would be ideal as I'm from Australia and its easies to contact that way. If someone could help me out that would be amazing!!! Thank you so much Annah

4 Answers Jun 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    • Can't decide - Captain Cook or Kailua Kona

Hawaii (Big Island) May 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

We are trying to plan our first vacation in 6 years; first with our 3 year old son. We plan to stay one night near Volcano Park but would like a house the rest of the time where we can access a beach, food, etc. but that is still quiet and not so "touristy." Found a great house in Captain Cook that is available (we are going 10/27-11/3); looks great, large enough for us and the other couple +kid who might be coming as well. I have read several different forums and majority opinion is Kailua Kona & Kohala Coast for beach lovers. Any advice would be appreciated.
      Thanks much!

3 Answers Jun 11, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    • One day of sightseeing on the Big Island

Hawaii (Big Island) Apr 29, 2013 at 5:02 AM

We are going to the Big Island at the end of May with a group from my husband's work. There is one day earmarked for exploring the island. We will be staying on the Kona Side (Four Seasons Hualalai).....help me plan this day! Sun up to sun down baby! We are also foodies...so recommend stops along the way for can't miss Hawaiian treats!

2 Answers May 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    • Bus tours $ ?

Hilo Apr 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I will be there in June 2013. I want to do my itineray with price of all activities. I want to do something everyday.

2 Answers May 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    • Road from Kona to Hilo

Hilo Apr 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM

How good is the road from Kona to Hilo. It looks like a 3 hour drive time. I am flying to Kauai and can save money if I fly from Hilo. Is it worth the savings. Flights are $20 more and there is a $60 drop charge for the car. should I suck up the expense or drive to Hilo

5 Answers Jan 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    • HGVC Waikoloa Beach

Hawaii (Big Island) Apr 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Anyone been there ? We are going in 3 weeks with my 21 mo. old Grandson. Is it far from the water and main facilities of the Resort ? Any recommendations ?

3 Answers Apr 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    • Green Sands Beach

Kailua-Kona Mar 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

One review says its a 5 mile hike while another says a local will drive ... is there alwasy someone who will drive you there without making you broke?

3 Answers May 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    • car rentals

Kailua-Kona Mar 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Is it cheaper to rent a car from the airport or in a downtown location in Kona? Also, has anyone used costco to rent a car and how does it compare to the other agencies. Thank you

1 Answer Mar 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    • RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Winter Temps?

Kailua-Kona Feb 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Planning a family reunion in Kona next Christmas. Stayed at the water's edge in June and found it very hot. Is it hot and hardly any trades in winter as well? Should we plan on going up the hill for the trades?

3 Answers Feb 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    • JJfromNJ's Profile Photo

6 days on the Big Island

Hawaii (Big Island) Feb 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Just trying to plan for the Big Island and it's a bit daunting to me. We're looking to spend 2 days in Kona diving and probably going to Kealakekua Bay. This gives us 3 1/2 days to drive around. Top priority is driving Saddle Road and to the Mauna Kea summit. However today the road is closed due to icy conditions. Is it likely for the road to be closed during most days in the winter or will we have a chance to do it?

We also want to drive down the Chain of Craters Rd in Volcanoes NP. After that, we're looking for suggestions on what else to do. We enjoy hiking and scenery. We'll probably see Akaka Falls. Maybe we'll hike in Waipio Valley or Pololu Valley (or both?).

Or will 3 1/2 days be enough to only do Saddle Road and Volcanoes?

2 Answers Mar 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    • Seeking quiet lodging for night of arrival, to fight jet-lag

Hawaii (Big Island) Feb 1, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Aloha!

Any suggestions of which hotels are among the quietest, near Kailua-Kona? My hope is to get good rest on night of our arrival, to counter the effects of jet-lag (2 adults, travelling from Eastern time zone). If you have knowledge or experience to share please do!

Thanks!
      Pete

• dragonflylt's Profile Photo

Hawaii in 8 Days - Island Hopping Logistics

Hawaii (Big Island) Dec 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Hello Everyone - i will be in Hawaii for 8 days starting next weekend - (i am usually a last minute planner!) - My base for those 8 days is in the Big Island, however I am interested in seeing for example Pearl Harbor and the beauty of other islands. Are there one day trip options? Is that feasible or would i need to overnight somehwere ? I would prefer not to double pay for hotel as I am already committed with the one in the BIg Island. Now about things to do - I have read on similar questions the points of interests are volcanoes, beaches, hikes, Pearl Harbor - Please let me know of any other things to do that i should concentrate on (i am not into the tourist stuff like shopping etc - mostly culture and love to go to local restaurants etc). Lastly, in the Big Island -it looks like renting a car is the way to go - can someone please let me know on transportation as well. THank you greatly.

3 Answers Dec 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    • Green_Frog's Profile Photo

Help please ... Oahu and ??? Big Island or Maui???

Hawaii (Big Island) Nov 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM

We are planning a holiday to Hawaii and hope to get some suggestions on the choice of islands to visit. We are hoping to spend 5 nights on Waikiki - Oahu with 3 nights on either Maui or the Big Island.

We love the beach, nature walk, waterfalls and of course the opportunity to see a volcano is very tempting as we've never seen this. I hope you can give me some feedback to make this choice a little easier.

10 Answers Mar 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM