Hawaii (Big Island) Travel Answers

change location

Hello Everyone

by guitar_man Online Now Jan 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Hi I am new on virtual tourist, cool site! I am thinking about going to Hawaii next week. I haven't been to Haiwaii yet. I have just quickly looked at this site. gohawaii.com/big_island/lear...

I don't really know which island to pick. Also know from travelling, that what looks great on-line isn't as great when your there and vice versa.

So what am I looking for? Well, 3-5 star resort. Some resort that prides itself on service and upkeep. Not run down, unclean etc.. I want what any seasoned Haiwaii traveller comes to know: which resort has Value. That becomes the "spot" to go when in Haiwaii or at least the spot to go to for that particular island. Something in the 100-140 USD a night area...

Also, I would like at least one night at a 5-6 star resort, too and doesn't have to be on the same island.

I have a feeling that the Hyatt, Nikko, Le Meridian, Club Med, Ritz Carlton will all be more pricy than their Bali or Malaysian locations because it is on US soil. So, if there are any best kept secrets in the high-end hotel/resorts -value /package etc please tell.

For instance, booking on-line for Bali is about 3 times more pricy than simply getting a simple package for 1-2 nights locally here in Taiwan and upon arrival, booking at one of the 6 star resorts above in Nusa Dua! That is a big saving! Any tricks for saving on resorts or hotel in Haiwaii
????

I guess the last things I want to know about Haiwaii are about location and things to do:

What did you do in Haiwaii that you loved? What did you pass up on or forget to do that you wished to heck you did and will do next time yourr there?

What areas were best for photography?

What locations were the most fun and lively?

What areas were most scenic?

What areas just brought about ZEN in you? etc...

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Hello Everyone

by goodfish Online Now Jan 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Hi Guitar Man! Just wanted to welcome you to VT - glad you're liking this great site and our fab community. A suggestion? You've done a good job laying out what you're wanting to know but your profile is blank. It's the piece you should have filled along with your picture and "handle" (Guitar Man). Specifically, there's a spot for your interests - knowing what you like to do on vacation helps us a lot with questions like "What are the best things to do?".

For instance, if you're into extreme sports or otherwise very active, VTers will send you to great spots for outdoor sports. If you're into museums or history, they'd send you to the top spots for those. Make sense?

It would also be good to know if you're traveling alone, with friends, are you young or not-so, and will your have children (what ages?) with you. Wouldn't want to send you off to wild nightlife if you have toddlers along! :)

So, if you're not up to filling out the profile yet, (it's easy) give us a little more info about what interests you and activities you enjoy on your trips? And, kids along?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Hello Everyone

by guitar_man Online Now Jan 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Hi, no kids. Just myself and my girlfriend. We like beaches, shopping local beach wear and art. We would like a 3-5 days getaway ;)

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Aloha Kakahiaka

Although I may be biased, I have no qualms about recommending Maui wholeheartedly. Used to live there, in Lahaina for five years, and have been back fairly regular.

Would choose kaanapali hotel circle over Wailea in Kihei, mainly as Kaanapali is only three miles from Lahaina. However also due to the frequent sugarcane field dust that tends to blow over the Kihei area. Some folks do not notice it but having been there for as long as I did, it is noticable.

There are also many condo properties to consider most on the stretch between Kaanapali and Napili. There is also a nice one right in Lahaina, where I usually stay when I return there. Here is a look:

http://www.lahainashores.com/

Right next door is the 505 Front Street Shops, an outdoor mall area, and walk past that and you are on historic Front Street. Check out the whaling Museum at the historic Pioneer Inn, down the street as well as the Whaling Ship at the pier.

http://www.bestlahaina.com/history.php

Many activities available ocean related, - or not. A tour/trip to the top of the mighty Haleakala Volcano which rises 10.000 feet from the ocean. May want to consider one of several bike trips from the top. You are driven to the top and then you bike all the way down the mountain. Here are two but there are others as well.

http://www.mauidownhill.com/

http://www.bikemaui.com/

If you are up to it, catching the sunrise from the top of Haleakala is a special experience, but you need to get there before sunrise of course.

A full day trip/tour to hana is an absolute must. A windy road on the coast most of it high in the cliffs above the ocean and the beach land. Just look at these.....

images.google.com/images?hl=...

Here is Heavenly Hana in all its glory. Make sure to go a little further to the Seven Sacred Pools.

http://www.hanamaui.com/

hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/site...

destination360.com/north-ame...

There are many other things to do on Maui, one would include a tour/trip to the Iao Needle, In Iao Nat'l State Park, where you can see the famous profile of John F Kennedy in the rock.

gohawaii.com/maui/plan/thing...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...

Do you fancy going horseback riding on Maui, - several ranches where you can do that. Hawaii is a rich cattle country, which most people are not aware of. Explore paniolo (cowboy) country on Maui. Here just two of many ranches that can make you a paniolo.

http://www.mendesranch.com/index.htm
    http://www.makenastables.com/

Diving is spectacular on Maui, of which diving around the halfmoon island of Molokini is my favorite. Here is a look:

images.google.com/images?hl=...

Of course the nightlife on Maui is legendary. I could wax poetic on the wonders of my Maui, but once you do some reaserch you will find much more. I will leave you with this look at Maui no ka oi. (Maui is the best)

paradisemaui.com/island_imag...

Aloha nui loa.....d:o)

• Re: Hello Everyone

by rene82 Online Now Jan 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I don't have advice on resorts since, when I went, I was just looking for a cheapish place to sleep and spent most of my town out and about. I have been to Oahu, Kauai, and the Big Island. Oahu was probably my least favorite, but I enjoyed the night life the most there. Walking around Waikiki, there are lots of people, shopping, and street performers so it is very lively. The other two islands seem a lot quieter and more small-town type atmosphere compared to Oahu. I enjoyed snorkeling on Oahu and did a couple good hikes. I feel like Oahu had the most touristy-type attractions to visit if you like that sort of thing: such as the Polynesian cultural center, Pearl Harbor, zoos, and botanical gardens. Kauai, in my opinion, has a lot of different natural attractions and great lush scenery which could keep me busy for a long time. My favorites there were the Waimea Canyon and hiking the Napali Coast. We also took a sunset cruise along the Napali Coast which was really fun. Most of my favorite pictures come from Kauai because I think the natural surroundings are just so pretty. The Big Island I enjoyed mostly because I think the Volcanic area is very neat and is like nothing I've seen anywhere else. To me it is not necessarily the place you would go for a typical Hawaiian, lay on the beach in the sun and play in the water, type of trip (maybe I just had bad luck with weather). It is a large island so there's lots of places to explore besides the Volcanoes. I enjoyed the Waipio Valley and Black Sand beaches. I was very disappointed that we couldn't find a place to sit out on the beach and have a drink in the evening because everything around Hilo seemed to close early.

• pangaeatours's Profile Photo

by pangaeatours Online Now Jan 29, 2010 at 1:46 AM

If you are looking for zen try the North Shore of Oahu.
    You should still be able to the giant waves of winter

Brian

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Jan 29, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Aloha, Most Malihinis(first timers) want to see Diamond Head from Waikiki Beach. So, if you want that, head for O'ahu, the heart of Hawai'i. Check out your www.gohawaii.com and click on O'ahu. Every thing you want to know is there. As far as hotels go, the ones on the sands of Waikiki are the most expensive. The Hilton Hawaiian Village has a great layout and a wonderful beach. For value, the Aston Hotel chain has many hotels in Waikiki. The main drag in Waikiki is Kalakaua Ave and the side streets all have hotels and shops. O'ahu is also the place for the night life in Waikiki. Great photo shoots at Pearl Harbor, Pali Pass, beaches at Kailua, Hanauma Bay, North Shore surfers, and Waikiki for Diamond Head. Take a outrigger canoe ride in with the waves or try surfing the soft rollers at Waikiki. Snorkel in Hanauma Bay and watch wind surfers from the power white sands of Kailua. Want the Zen go to Kaneohe and the Haiku Gardens or the Byodo-In Temple in the Valley of the Temples, Kahuluu.
    The famous Polynesian Cultural Center is on the windward side at Laie, with the Pacific Islanders way of life and Luau with show. Must shop at the Hilo Hattie factory just before Honolulu after the airport. All types of Hawaiian wear and souvenirs. Chinatown is fascinating and many Lei flower shops are located here in downtown Honolulu. Busy with traffic during the morning and early evening rush hours, but enough slow down time to relax and enjoy the locals way of life, nice and easy, with a big smile and a Mai Tai in your hand watching the sun set off Waikiki Beach with the sounds of the Islands in the background at the Moana Surfrider Hotel at the Beach Bar, aoh and your other hand around your girl friend. Betta make up yo mind wikiwiki. Aloha

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 29, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Yup, like Larry said, - betta make up yo mind wikiwiki!! You don't have a lot of time to decide. Good stuff Larry, - brought me bright back to the Surfrider......d:o)

by travelgourmet Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 2:08 PM

The Hilton Waikoloa is the Disneyland of Hawaii. It reminds me of the "Stepford Wives", everything in its place and robotized.

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 13, 2011 at 11:22 PM

The Original Poster never bothered to come back, so all of the above is a wasted effort........d:o/

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM

By the way, tht review site advertised above, is about as lame as I have ever seen.

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM

eh Brah, That reply is Aznuts! Fo'real on the date, is late! One year late. Fo'shua pupule. Da review? Junk! K'den, written for keikis. In plain English, I agree the worst write up review of Hawaii I have seen. Must be for first grade children. Not even accurate and the plug for Costco. That is insane. One of the most local stores and not many tourists in Waikiki would even go there. ;-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Hawaii (Big Island) Travel Answer Locations