Hat Yai Travel Answers

change location

is it safe to visit hatyai now?

by 890918 Online Now Apr 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM

hi,we are students from uum.we planned to visit hatyai and songkla this coming 7 and 8 april 2012.so we want to know whether is it safe or not to visit the places now since there are some gas explosion,bomb blast happened.
we hope to hear from you soon.
thank you.

Quote & Answer
21 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: is it safe to visit hatyai now?

by davidjo Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Go ahead, stick to your plans as in this modern world *** can happen. I lived in London during the IRA bombing campaign, major traffic disruptions but never out me off going anywhere.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 2:10 AM

hat yai has been a hotbed for awhile.still safe, but there are many other places in Thailand that would be better

cheers tommy x

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 4:32 AM

Who knows what will happen in the future. Hat Yai is very popular with many Malaysians. Many of the Malaysians go there for the nightlife, massage parlors and liquor and for a break from religious prying. Many other tourists use Hat Yai as a stopover on the way to Malaysia and some even head on to Singapore.

I personally would not hesitate using transportation to Hat Yai and using it as a stopover on the way to other places. But I would choose other Thai cities for my holiday vacation or amusement. If you are coming from Bangkok maybe choose somewhere different. Coming from Malaysia - up to you!

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Didn't you read the newspapers the last couple of days? Nak cari mati ke?

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

by AngMimi Online Now Apr 3, 2012 at 6:51 AM

@Sheherezad - I like your comments.
    Didn't you read the newspapers the last couple of days? Nak cari mati ke?

My friends from Penang and Sungai Petani, all of them cancelled their trip to Hadyai. Just avoid visiting Hadyai until situation improves. Better be safe than sorry.

• gaolei's Profile Photo

by gaolei Online Now Apr 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

There was a coordinated set of bomb blasts in Hat Yai last weekend. 13 dead, 300 injured. It may be a good time to stay away. Read this from the Bangkok Post.

bangkokpost.com/learning/lea...

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 4, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Thanks, Mimi!

@gao, this has been publicised in MY newspapers and our foreign minister even advised against travel to the area. But I suppose gen Z or perhaps UUM students don't read newspapers or listen to the news? :(

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

A lot of times, that type of new is well hidden in the papers so as not to lose the tourist funds.
    You really have to know what you are looking for and it's not a big deal in Thailand. do you know the stats of people killed during their water festival due to drinking and driving...It's a obscence number
    cheers tommy x

• Re: is it safe to visit hatyai now?

by yippie65 Online Now Apr 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Hi,

Read from Thailand tourism website. The police have tightened security in Hat Yai and the surrounding area. All activities seem still on plan.

• The Hat Yai Songkran Midnight Festival at Odian Intersection, Hat Yai District, Songkhla during 11-13 April 2012, as well as other Songkran activities in Hat Yai.
    • The Hat Yai Tennis International Championship during 6-8 April 2012.
    • The TAT Golf Challenge 2012 @ Hat Yai on 28 April 2012.
    • "Biking for Tourism to Celebrate Their Majesties and the Crown Prince's Royal Birthdays in Four Miracle Lands 555 km" from 28 April to 1 May 2012.

Source: ThailandTourismUpdate.com

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Tommy, it was front page news in MY - for a few days! And this was a coordinated attack with shaped IEDs like the kind used in Iraq and Afghanistan! I rest my case.. I wouldn't go there for Songkran for sure!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Like I said before that there are many attacks in Hatyai, and many reports are swept under the table and buried in news. Seems to me that Thailand never gets a break and there is always drama from one year to the next and all I read for the next few weeks is "how are we going to get the tourist back?" or how many million bahts they lose because the tourist stop going to Thailand. Flood one year, political parties fighting each other the next, Muslim war in the south. All this is typical headlines I see year after year. pity that there is so much corruption and greed in Thailand and the people that suffer the most is the poor. May be I will stop going to Thailand after a while, but I have always feel safe there as a second home. I never wander back into Hatyai after I been there before because of the bombings in the South Thailand that I know of. That was over seven years ago. Yet still i believe that thai people are one of the nicest people I have met.

cheers tommy x

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM

from bangkok post today:::
    "They hope the measures will lure back tourists after Saturday's bomb attack at the Lee Gardens Plaza Hotel led to massive cancellations of bookings in the city during the Songkran festival from April 13-15.

The festival is one of the city's biggest draws for travellers. The authorities said improving security was imperative as it would help restore tourists' confidence, which could at least make up for some of the lost cancellations in tours and hotel bookings.

The tourism sector in Hat Yai ground to a halt in the wake of the attack. One of the fatalities was a Malaysian tourist, Low Tsian Hock. Several other Malaysians were also wounded.

Emerging from the top-level meeting yesterday, Pol Gen Chatchai Potranant, adviser to the Royal Thai Police Office, said checkpoints will screen vehicles entering the city around the clock through four main roads and more than 40 feeder roads."

cheers tommy x

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 4:26 AM

> Like I said before that there are many attacks in Hatyai, and many reports are swept under the table and buried in news.

Not in MY, Tommy, maybe in the US of A it's not news but that restive part of Thailand is just across the border from Peninsular Malaysia N E Coast state, so it is always news here, I'm afraid. Thus my shock at the utter ignorance posed by the OP's query - that's all..

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM

> The tourism sector in Hat Yai ground to a halt in the wake of the attack.

Just like the Bali bombing did..

> One of the fatalities was a Malaysian tourist, Low Tsian Hock. Several other Malaysians were also wounded.

Actually there were two Malaysians dead and 27 injured, some seriously.. So, who is downplaying the casualties? ;-(

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 4:31 AM

> Yet still i believe that thai people are one of the nicest people I have met.

They are: no doubt about that! ;-)

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Thai businessmen who needs the tourist trade has been down playing the incidents. Of course Maylay papers will always print the news when Maylay tourist are killed and they are on your border. the problem with the Thais paper is that most is censor as to not hurt the tourist industry. thailand being a third world country will not get much press outside it's border. If you can read the Thai newspaper , it will show graphic pictures, but if a foreign paper picks up the same story, it is less graphic , or no picture at all and the story is buried. I do not go to Hatyai myself because I know it is a danger spot and many times over the pas few years there has been fighting among local religous factions. Take religon away and there will be no problem.

cheers tommy x

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Tommy, the problem, according to an MY newspaper editorial, should be solved through peace talks, not with the Thai army.. Seems the Thai authorities have not sat down for peace talks for four years now.. Malaysia has always been prepared to help negotiate such talks..

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 4:28 AM

The problem is politics and religion. Get rid of both and there will be peace around the world. The Thai government has issues on both that you and I can never explain. People are never satisfy with just living a peaceful life and get along with their brothers. It's a shame

cheers tommy x

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 4:32 AM

Unfortunately, you can't get rid of either, Tommy!

The problem is a predominantly Muslim province under Thai (Buddhist) control.. But let's not prolong a policital/religious discussion on this travel forum, ya? ;-)

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 4:39 AM

My thoughts exactly, a real waste of time in life.

cheers tommy x

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Ditto!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines