Hat Yai Travel Answers

change location
Induc's Profile Photo

krabi to penang direct bus

by Induc Online Now Mar 21, 2011 at 2:19 AM

I am a new memeber and planning a travel to krabi. I need following information as I am first time traveller.

1. I plan to reach Krabi with my husband on 2nd June 2011 by about 10:00 AM. Will there be a boat going to Phi PHI. I can not travel by high speed boats. Will there be some larger and moderate speed boats.

2. Is there a left luggage office at Krabi bus stand. We are planning just one day trip to PHI PHI and would not like to carry our large bag with us.

3. Is there a direct bus from Krabi to Penang starting early mornig so that we may reach Penang latest by 4:30 PM. Is it possible to book the bus in advance through any site or travel agent (Reliable).

Thanking in advance
Indu Chaturvedi

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • mim95's Profile Photo

Re: krabi to penang direct bus

by mim95 Online Now Mar 21, 2011 at 6:32 AM

There is no left luggage at Krabi bus station. There is NO way that you can go to Phi Phi and then get to Penang on the same day!!! You should do Phi Phi first, stay overnight in Krabi, and then head to Penang on the next day.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get to Penang by 4:30pm. You can check at local agents for a minibus ride to Hat Yai and then onto Penang. You might have to change minibus if the service ends at Hat Yai. But I'm sure agents can arrange sth, as I've done this from Phuket to Penang. The minibus is faster than regular bus to Hat Yai, but the space is very tight if they are packed.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Induc's Profile Photo

by Induc Online Now Mar 21, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Thanks Mimi,

Your advise to me was valuable. Yes we had planned to stay overnight at Krabi before taking a morning bus.

How did you book tickets for the minibus. Do you know of reliable site or agent.

Regards
    Induc

• mim95's Profile Photo

by mim95 Online Now Mar 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I don't have recommendations for agents in Krabi. There are many in town and on the beach area that you can ask around and compare prices. They can arrange for tour, hotel, and transport bookings.

If you are staying in Krabi overnight, why not drop off your luggage at your hotel front desk if you can't check in early. Sometimes you can check in early if a room is available. I think many boats leave in the morning, maybe harder to get a boat after 10 or 11am, plus you have to come back on the same day. And I think the boats return from Phi Phi to Krabi by 4pm at the latest. That doesn't give you a lot of time on the island, as it takes 1-1.5 hr by boat.

Can you reach Krabi earlier?

• Induc's Profile Photo

by Induc Online Now Mar 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Thanks mimi,

We were planning to stay one night in PHI PHI and come back the next evening (3rd June 2011). We need to go to Penag on third day(4th June 2011). There are two possible options, and need your advise on that.

1. Take early morning minibus to Hat yai and then to Penang. Or take a direct minibus to penang if available.

2. Also notice that there is midnight train from Surat Thani, leaving at about 24:05 hours midnight. We could take a bus to Surat Thani in the evening instead of staying overnight at Krabi. The train takes us to Penang by 14:00 hrs the next day.

Which of the option according to you is better. Is it safe to tarvel to Surat thani late in the evening.

Best regards and lot of thanks for your advise

Induc

• mim95's Profile Photo

by mim95 Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Do you absolutely have to be in Penang by 4:30pm? If so, the minibus option may not guarantee you to get there on time, unless you take the first available one.

I don't think there are buses available after dark to Surat Thani. If you return back to Krabi by 4 or 5pm, you may still be able to catch the last bus to Surat. If not, it'll be a very expensive taxi ride...possibly more than 2000 Baht, as it's a long journey and part of the road is mountainous.

• Induc's Profile Photo

by Induc Online Now Mar 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Hi mimi,

Thanks for advise, that there will be no buses to Suratthani aafter evening. This leaves out of train option.

1. In fact we were planning to take a Starcruise in Penang where reporting time was 5:30 PM. We kept 1 hour for any eventuality. But we have dropped the idea of Starcruise and reaching by 4:30 is no more a necessity.
    2. I say that Tigerline travel have boats hopping from Phi Phi (8:30 AM) to Koh Lanta and then to Koh ngai, Koh kradan, koh mook and then to Hat Yao pier.
    From Hat Yao to Hat Yai by bus to reach by 4:00 PM. We liked this route very much and wrote to Tigerline. They have replied that May and June are monsoon months and they suspend their operations by April end.

This has scared us. We need your advise for following

1. Will there be heavy monsoon in Krabi areas in first week June.
    2. The boats from Krabi to Phi Phi will be running or these operations will also be suspended. In that case we may have to reschedule our itenary.
    3. Are there conducted day tours from Krabi to Phi PHI don and phi phi leh islands and then back by evening. We may prefer this instead of staying in phi phi overnight.

Regards to you

Induc

• mim95's Profile Photo

by mim95 Online Now Mar 26, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Krabi generally gets more rain than Phuket, as it's closer to the mountain ranges. I think there are day tours to Phi Phi from Krabi if you don't want to stay overnight. You can check with local agents.

Another way taht you may want to consider is flying from Phuket to Penang. It's an hour flight. Check Firefly Airlines. I've flown with them before and it's great - much better than being stuck in a cramped minivan for hours!

The monsoon season starts officially on May 1. It's hard to say about the sea condition. It can be rough...it can be calm. You just never know.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines