Hanoi Travel Answers

change location

visa

by RONYRASH Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM

My british passport as gone for replacement.takes 4 weeks.My visa expires14/4/13 my passport is due back herehanoi 20/4/13.Ican t get an extention visa without my pasport. The british embassy is aware of my situation but only advice, i could be fined $100 if i overstay my visa.I simply want to collect my passport and cycle on to beijing surely there as to be someway of arranging this?fineance is not a problem.The only alternative is to apply for a emergancy passport and fly back to uk before the present visa expires 14/4/13,then have my new passport sent to uk.The emergancy passport will posably cost more than an overstay fine.so my best option is to overstay This will get me into china which is where i want to go.not back to the U.K where i have no wish to go.the overstay fine will be the first entry into my new passport which will creat further complications when applying for visas,ect.Thanks for any advice

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: visa

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Just overtsay the visa and pay whatever fine they come up with.
    The fine you get is most likely just a bribe that is determined by the costum official.
    It's not like they will lock you up or anything like that if you overstay as they are quite rlaxed in Vietnam as long as they see some money upfront if anything is not in order.
    I work quite a bit in Vietnam at the moment and deal with lost passports from time to time and it's always quite swift especially if there is a bit of money exchanging hands when you deal with the guys in uniform.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Agree with Cachasiero, but don't understand how you got into this situation in the first place. Can you actually renew your passport in Vietnam because in the Philippines we have to renew our passport in HK as the embassy no longer performs this function. Relax and pay the fine, it's not too much!

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Just to do a little brain storming here....nothing may apply or be allowed.

I agree with Klaus and David, the overstay may be your best option.

Two years ago I had to get an emergency passport because the AIRLINE would not allow me to leave  Vietnam as my passport was due to expire in two months. For some unknown reason your passport had to have six months left before it expired. (By the way, no problem getting to VN from the U.S.)

The U.S. Embassy in HCMC got me an emergency passport the next day. It was good for one year and all I had to do was get another 10 year passport once I got back and I got credit for the emergency passport, so it cost less.

Anyway, that said, what about a visa on arrival? Does anyone think that you could apply for one since you just print out the paperwork on line, and then go to the airport and "enter" into the country again?? Also, did you try to get a letter from your embassy, and then go to the Vietnam embassy and see if they can issue you another visa?

Just some thoughts. Good Luck

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hanoi