Hammond Travel Answers

change location
rmdw's Profile Photo

Advice on getting a Gyro in NW Indiana

by rmdw Online Now Oct 24, 2004 at 10:04 PM

I've heard that there's a great place for getting gyros in NW Indiana. I even have one of their menus. According to this menu, if you want to go to Richway Gyros then you head to Whiting, Indiana. But according to a ... "questionable" source, though this restaurant is in Whiting, it's actually in Hammond. So you head to Hammond instead. Most confused and just wondering how many hours/days/weeks it'll take me to find this darn gyros place!!! Robert

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Advice on getting a Gyro in NW Indiana

by charlietuna22 Online Now Oct 25, 2004 at 11:06 PM

Hello, Does the menu have an address? If so, go to www.mapquest.com and get the location. You can even get directions from door to door if you want.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • I know Richway... believe me I know

by zrnchikw Online Now Mar 5, 2008 at 8:46 PM

From the first day Richway opened in a tiny hole in the wall just off the corner of 119th and Calumet Ave, I have been a customer. When I was like 8 or 9 years old, this guy opened a food joint and served funny sounding food.

Me and my friends went in for some fries and sodas and he offered us some of the meat on a stick. 30 years later and a location down the street (in the lot where the old Bowling Alley used to be), I go there anytime I'm close enough to get there. I live in California, been to England, Canada, Italy, Spain, Germany, and more -- THERE IS NO BETTER GYRO THAN THIS ONE.

What's the secret? I don't know. I'm prety sure he uses Kronos foods so its available to anyone. One thing I know is different is that he no longer hand cuts the meats with his bother and sister; they use an electric knife. The food is great and if you live in Whiting, you know what I'm talking about.

Now, the location: you send them a letter and you address it "Whiting." You want to know what city it is in: Hammond. The city boundary runs down the Boulavard from Chicago excluding the location known as "Robertsdale," which is part of Hammond.

How do I know? I lived on the 1800 block of Stanton down the street from Clark HS. I ran to Sterk's almost daily, raced bikes and jumped ramps in the alleys of Davis and Stanton and Lake Aves, saw the dentist on 119th, and much more.

I mena it, you want a good Gyro (yeer-oh) then you make the trip. Tell them Bucko sent you!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines