Hammerfest Travel Answers

change location
thenailfactory's Profile Photo

Aurora and snow

by thenailfactory Online Now May 26, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Wht's a good time to get the best out of Hammerfest in regards to good snowfall, good aurora sights, good nightlife...etc?

Is there any snowboarding possibilities in Hammerfest?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • SORHUS's Profile Photo

Re: Aurora and snow

by SORHUS Online Now May 27, 2008 at 5:48 AM

reindalen alpinsenter is the ski resort called , it closed at 1st of May for the season. i dont know to much about Hammerfest but have a look at the tourist office web padge http://www.hammerfest-turist.no/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Aurora and snow

by FletteMette Online Now May 27, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Aurora season ends in late March / early April. With the winters we've been having lately, I wouldn't really want to guarantee much snow at all (!) (I'm blaming global warming!) - in Tromsø, a bit further south, we didn't really get much snow at all until February / March this year (and now it's simply refusing to melt, still quite a bit of snow in the mountains!) If you want good chances of *both* lots of snow and northern lights, I'd choose late February / early March.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now May 29, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Yes, with the warm winters in the north, your best hope is February & March.
    About nightlife, September to April you will have the night, May to August is not exactly night there, but then the party never ends ;-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Jul 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

From my Norway-page:
    Travelling to Norway in order to watch the Nordic Lights is a great idea, especially in wintertime. The Nordic Lights / Aurora Borealis is a very special natural phenomenon that you can watch mainly in wintertime and you need to have a perfect combination of various situations all at the same time:

1) the sky has to be without clouds
    2) the sky needs to be dark, so you are able to see the reflections
    3) you need certain activities of the sun, that are sometimes stronger and sometimes weaker
    The way that I understood this is that these activities of the sun will happen all year long, but in summertime you cannot see them because of the bright sky.

The best time for watching the Northern Lights are :
    October + February & March
    the best frequency is between 6 pm and 1 am.
    avoid the times of the Fullmoon, it will not be dark enough then !

here you will see at what time you might see the Northern Lights best:
    visitnorway.com/en/what-to-d...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines