Hammamet Travel Answers

change location
Paul54's Profile Photo

Yasmine Hammamet, Mahdia or MONASTIR??

by Paul54 Online Now Sep 5, 2007 at 5:51 PM

My wife and I will be going to Tunisia for a month in mid February. We have already been to this beautiful country in October of 2006. On this occasion we plan on staying for 3 weeks in Sousse and we were hoping to spend the last week in Yasmine Hammamet but a travel agent told me that this area is practically closed down at this time of the year. As a result, we were thinking of going to Mahdia or Monastir. However, I was wondering whether or not these 2 areas have more to offer at the beginning of March!!!
If anyone out there has been to these areas between February 15 and March 15 I would like to heat from you because we are hoping to make our reservations as soon as possible. THANKS.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • maykal's Profile Photo

Re: Yasmine Hammamet, Mahdia or MONASTIR??

by maykal Online Now Sep 17, 2007 at 10:05 AM

My vote would go to Mahdia. The tourist zone might be fairly quiet in March, but the town itself is beautiful...far nicer than Monastir. The tourist zone, where all the hotels are, is not far from the town...easy to reach by walking along the beach or taking the metro...whereas I think most of the beach hotels in Monastir are quite isolated.

Monastir is very close to Sousse, so if you're spending 3 weeks in Sousse, you can easily visit Monastir during that time. Mahdia is about 2 hours south of Sousse, so it would make more sense to make Mahdia your base for the last week. Also you can use Mahdia as a base for visiting Sfax and the Kerkennah Islands, which are two hours by shared taxi south.

Hope this helps...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines