Hamilton Island Travel Answers

change location
maggiefoss's Profile Photo

is there a good boat trip to whitehaven island

by maggiefoss Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Hi- We are going to be on Hamilton island from march 5- march 9. I really want to go to whitehaven beach , but all the tour companies just seen to go for 4 hours and head back. They leave only about 2 hrs on the island. Does anybody have a good suggestion for going there? Or is 4 hours plenty of time??? Does anybody have a tour operator that they recommend? Do you think it will be sunny, or will it be rainy every day. I was thinking since it was their fall it would be good weather, so I hope it is not too rainy. Is there anything else we need to see on hamilton island. thanks for your help

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: is there a good boat trip to whitehaven island

by rabiaali Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM

yes . you can visit it for more details travellingheritage.blogspot....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • aussirose's Profile Photo

Re: is there a good boat trip to whitehaven island

by aussirose Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Hi Martha. 4 hours is plenty of time mate. You will just love Whitehaven beach! I have been there 3 times now and it's beautiful. March is at the tail end of the wet season and considering the amount of wet we have had in Queensland lately....I pretty much reckon you'll be fine by the time March rolls around. Our first trip to Whitehaven was on an ex racing yacht called the Raggamuffin. I totally recommend this trip, however you might have to make your way to Shute Harbour to board. - maxiaction.com.au/maxi/cruis...

The second time we went to Whitehaven, we took the Camira sailing adventure from Airlie Beach so I am not sure that it will be suitable for you from Hamilton Island.

The 3rd time we went to Whitehaven was by sea plane from Hamilton Island. What a fantastic trip and totally romantic!! :o) Check it out here - "Sea Plane trip to Whitehaven Beach" - Hamilton Island Travelogue by aussirose

The other option from Hamilton Island is with Fantasea Cruises and I totally recommend them for any trip you take from Hamilton Island - www.fantasea.com.au

Have a wonderful time here!!

Cheers, Ann.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Jan 15, 2011 at 3:25 AM

Ann, you've sailed on the famous Ragamuffin? Wow! :-)

• sylv2's Profile Photo

by sylv2 Online Now Jan 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Hi,
    The Whitsundays in general are my fav place. First discovered it over 25 years ago and been back not as often as I would like! Stayed on islands as well as in Airlie beach. Much more choice of tours out of Airlie Beach/ Shute Harbour than off the islands. You will need to check. One of my greatest memories is of sailing on an Americas Cup type sailing boat through this magnificent area. The Gretal i think it was called. Also a flight of some sort over these islands if budget allows is highly recommended.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Jan 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Haha Sylv.... you went with the America Cup opposition :o) It's fun though sailing in the Whitsundays :o)

Heya Colin matey! ... yep we were on the Raggamuffin - they even let us drive!
    members.virtualtourist.com/m...
    Dangerous hey! ... lol.

• Visiting Whitehaven Island

by twiggs Online Now Mar 3, 2011 at 4:55 AM

hi there -

The beach is beautiful, having said that, the time you have on the beach will be plenty,as there's not really a lot to do, but enjoy the sun and beach, or maybe you want to get the stinger suit on and swim out a bit?

We were there 2 weeks ago, and loved it. The weather was all over the place that day, but that was fine,as one minute it rained, the next the rain was gone, and was amazing to see the rain move about on the horizon between all the islands, so do not forget your camera and that 30+ factor sun screen, as you will need it, never underestimate the clouds....

The boat trip there and back is great, you will enjoy that no doubt....

If and when we come back to OZ, would we do Whitehaven Island again, maybe, maybe not, seen it, loved it, got the photos to prove we've been....so possibly not....however, if you go anywhere near Sydney on your hols, make sure to take the ferry from the Opera House to Manly, as there's a wonderful beach there, but also places to have lunch/dinner or whatever takes your fancy, not just sand and more sand....

So enjoy, whatever you decide....and all the best from a Dane in London : )

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines