Hamilton Island Travel Answers

change location

Hamilton Island - what is it REALLY like working on the island??

by daisy166 Online Now Jan 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Hi there

I am a 30-year old, NZ photographer and I am very interested in working on Hamilton Island for 6 months July - Dec 2010! I imagine Hamilton Island is a really fun, enjoyable, social place to work - is this correct?

My questions include:

Does Hamilton Island arrange the accommodation (if I get a job through them)?
Is it shared accommodation or bunk beds etc?
Is it expensive to live there?
Does it get boring after a week?
What is there to do aside from swim, walk, shop, golf, eat/drink?
What is the main age group of the employees?
Would you recommend working there?
Is it difficult to find full-time employment? (I am a photographer but can also do administration roles)

Any advice would be much appreciated! Please be honest!!

Thank you

Daisy

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Hamilton Island - what is it REALLY like working on the island??

by Anne12 Online Now Jan 12, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Yes, Hamilton Island would be a very social place to work. The main crews would be younger ones...your age and younger.
    There is a culture on Islands, that is lots of partying and drinking!!!!!BUT I am sure at 30 you may not be into this as much:)
    Hamilton Island has a ferry to Airlie Beach, also other Islands, so if you get bored you can pop across. Airlie Beach is on the main land, so you can grab a hire car and have a drive around.

I know it sounds perfect type of employment, but I think I would go bonkers after a month on an Island!!!Having said that, 6 months isn't a long time and you would have a ball, I am sure of that.

A lot of dive cruises and also reef cruises have photographers employed to take people diving etc...
    I know that up here in Cairns they have one of these on each boat. Usually you take photos and help with serving out meals, drinks etc...a bit of everything.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by dexternicholson Online Now Jan 12, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Does Hamilton Island arrange the accommodation (if I get a job through them)?
    Depends on the place you will be working at but mostly yes.
    Is it shared accommodation or bunk beds etc?
    you have to share it with other staff
    Is it expensive to live there?
    if you spend too much but there are employers who takes care of their staff meals so I don't think that you wont be spending too much on food.
    Does it get boring after a week?
    the great barrier reef is a never a boring place, since you are a photographer, I'm sure that you will find a lot of great spots to visit.
    What is there to do aside from swim, walk, shop, golf, eat/drink?
    There are a lot of activities, you can also be active in sports and other recreational activities.
    What is the main age group of the employees?
    Would you recommend working there?
    Is it difficult to find full-time employment? (I am a photographer but can also do administration roles)

by rachelle75 Online Now Jan 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I have lived here for 2 years now. The approx age group is 18 - 25, but there is an older population as well, most of these work as concessionaires. Working for HIE can be restrictive, they do provide accomodation, given your age you would be set up in a private donga type accomodation. King single bed, a microwave, bar fridge and bathroom. Shared kitchen area with computer access.

It is very fun and sociable, but can also be very clique. It can be very expensive as we don't get discounts and pay the same rates as the guests pay.
    HIE roles are full time, concessionaire roles are part time to full time (concessionaire's have less restrictions then HIE staff). Most staff spend their time at the staff bar or around the pools, Friday and Saturday nights the nightclub is open. Drinking is a popular past time with the staff, or the opposite are the heath fanatics that do all the staff activities that are on offer, eg. outrigging, mini marathons, rugby.

I hope that this has helped.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines