Hamburg Travel Answers

change location

international students residency

by pola91 Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

i am planning to apply for college next semester in hamburg university and i looked up the rental student rooms inside the city and found it to be rare and expensive so i was thinking of alternatives in the rural parts around the city

considering i'll have to work and study, my question is how much will it be convenient for me?

also, if the price difference will be worth considering this alternative?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Turtleshell's Profile Photo

Re: international students residency

by Turtleshell Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

About 200 years ago, I studied in Hamburg and back then a room in a student's dorm was the most affordable option. But I guess that's exactly what you mean by saying "rental student rooms"? Did you contact http://www.studierendenwerk-hamburg.de (English site available)?

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: international students residency

by pola91 Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

200 years?
    yes i am aware of this website but there is a big chance they won't be able to provide me a room this is why i was looking for alternatives

Be the first to rate this answer!

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Get on their waiting list as soon as possible. The uni usually provides cheap accommodation and you'll meet lots of other students.

Or check http://www.wohn-hh.de/ and http://www.immobilienscout24.de.

How long are you going to be in Hamburg? If it's just for one term, you may be lucky here
    http://www.zwischenmiete.de/

Good luck, finding a place to stay is one of the most difficult aspects of studying.

1 member found this helpful

• ericaj.'s Profile Photo

by ericaj. Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Another alternative agency you might consider is Easy Flat Share or Germany Accommodation For students.

easyflatshare.com/search/v/7...

or
    germany.accommodationforstud...

If at all possible I would try to stay within Hamburg city limits; although a possibility for cheaper flats might be found in the sleepy neighboring family suburb/county of "Pinneberg", which is accessible by S-bahn, and also by a fast regional train serving the states of Hamburg and Schlesswig-Holstein. It's closer than sounds- it It would be comparable a New York-New Jersey commute, though a bit smaller in distance . The question is, how much time and how many extra euros would you want to invest in living outside the city? The public transportation system here is based on a "ring" system costs according to how far you travel out into each zone or "ring".

With studying and working on your plate, it could be well worth it to invest in a more expensive rent and have the ability to save on train fares (which unfortunately are rising steadily in Hamburg), as well as commute time that could be useful for work and studying. Also, Hamburg is a city where a good number of people travel by bike. Nearly every street has bike pathways and there are places to accommodate bike parking nearly everywhere. Bikes are also allowed on trains (during non-rush hour times) to help people cut their travel distance across town. If a person lives a reasonable distance from school or their workplace, bike travel can be an enormous cost saver to public transportation.

So while Pinneberg could be an easily accessible alternative to living directly in the city, I would lean more towards trying to find student accommodation within the city limits.

Best of luck in your search!

2 members found this helpful

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:54 AM

>> About 200 years ago, I studied in Hamburg (...)

> 200 years?

Actually it has been only 180 years, but I don't like to brag with my young age.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Hamburg