Travel Answers
Hallstatt

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Bus timings from Salzburg to Bad Ischl?

by Sonj Online Now Apr 1, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Does the bus from salzburg to bad ischl leave at top of the hour, say 7am, 8am. when is the first bus from salzburg for bad ischl?

2 Answers Apr 3, 2014 at 1:26 AM
    • train from Hallstatt to Innsbruck

by ceagallant Online Now Mar 12, 2014 at 6:05 PM

In September 2014 as part of our European trip we are planning to travel from Hallstatt to Innsbruck. I've tried to get train information about this train trip and the response I get is "we cannot give you information at this time". Does that mean that there isn't one train to take us there and we have to take a couple trains/bus or they just don't have the train schedule as yet?

8 Answers Mar 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM
    • transportation outside of town centre

by ceagallant Online Now Mar 6, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I'm looking at staying at a B & B or hotel in Hallstatt, Austria. Some of these accommodations are a few miles from the center of town. Does Hallstatt provide taxi or bus service to take us out of town?

1 Answer Mar 10, 2014 at 1:32 AM
    • MaryK85's Profile Photo

breakfast in Hallstatt

by MaryK85 Online Now Nov 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Are there places for breakfast in town?

3 Answers Nov 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    • Muir2000's Profile Photo

How long in Hallstatt?

by Muir2000 Online Now Oct 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I am wanting to avoid a longhaul trip next year and just hop over into Europe sometime in June. Hallstatt looks suitably gorgeous for a relaxing break. Having said that, I'm not the sort to be able to lay down for a week just reading, I like to get out and about and seek adventure! Would the consensus be that 7 nights is too long a stay for such a small village? I understand there's a museum and I assume I can roam freely through the hills which would happily fill my time. But would I be roaming the same hill every day? Is there more than one cafe or restaurant to eat at or will I be feeling a little groundhog? I can't really imagine ever getting bored of that mountain view. Should I plan a shorter jaunt? Any help greatly appreciated!

2 Answers Oct 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    • travelsumama's Profile Photo

Salzburg to mountains/Hallstatt

by travelsumama Online Now Jun 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Hello. I will be in Salzburg for three days in Oct. 2013. I am planning a day in the mountains toward and in Hallstatt. I am not sure it would be better to get around by rental car or public transportation. Which would you suggest?
      Susan

5 Answers Jul 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM
    • janerous's Profile Photo

Day trip Salzburg to Hallstatt

by janerous Online Now Jun 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

What are the shuttle bus company that provide the bus for a day trip from Salzburg to Hallstatt? Thank you.

1 Answer Jun 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    • carloarg02's Profile Photo

Purchasing train tickets?

by carloarg02 Online Now May 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I am arriving to Hallstatt via bus, so I'm assuming they're dropping me off downtown. I am planning on staying in the city for a couple of hours and then taking a train to Vienna. Few q's

- Any place in the city to leave luggage?
      - Any place where I could buy train tickets, or should I just take the boat accross and buy the tickets on the other side?
      - Is the train station in Hallstatt manned? Can I buy tickets there on the spot (on a Saturday afternoon) or do I need to buy them in advance on the internet?

thanks!
      Carlos

4 Answers May 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    • brekk2's Profile Photo

Bad weather?

by brekk2 Online Now May 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Hi, we are going to Hallstatt in a months time, but when I checked the weather forecast it showed that it probably will be raining in this part of Europe. I know weather forecasts are not reliable in this sense - 30 days ahead, let alone the climate change, etc. - but I'm already thinking of backup plans - just in case :) I was wondering whether it would still be possible to go up to the salt mine and/ or ice cave if it was raining. Do they operate the funicular in such weather coniditons? I understand that on rainy days there is no point in going up to the 5 fingers and the viewing point, but I hope that the caves still can be viewed by visitors. Could anyone confirm this, please? Or do you think it would be better if I asked the tourist center in Hallstatt via e-mail about these things? Thanks a lot for your replies in advance!

9 Answers Jun 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    • carloarg02's Profile Photo

4-5 hours in Hallstatt... doable?

by carloarg02 Online Now Apr 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I have a shuttle that is taking me from Český Krumlov to Hallstatt, arriving in Hallstatt around noon.

Then there's a train to Vienna leaving Hallstatt at 4:30pm.

This would give me about 4 1/2 hours in Hallstatt.

Is this crazy or is this an ok time to spend in the city for some basic walking around and looking at beautiful scenery? What would you do with that time frame?

Also when looking for trains Hallstatt -> Vienna I see a ton of different options for Hallstatt on the OBB site. Which train station should I be picking?

thanks!
      Carlos

1 Answer Apr 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    • johnjoe55's Profile Photo

Trains from Hallstatt.

by johnjoe55 Online Now Dec 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Can anyone help, I am looking for Information On Trains leaving Hallstatt for Salzburg and can a Einfach-Raus-Ticket be used and purchased before hand (pre dated) as I believe there Is no station at such to buy tickets.........:))

3 Answers Dec 10, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    • johnjoe55's Profile Photo

Traveling fro Vienna to Hallststt

by johnjoe55 Online Now Oct 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM

We are a family of 4 adults and 4 children ages 17, 14, 4, 2 and we will be traveling from Vienna to Hallstatt next July and would like to know the cheapest train ticket to travel on. Would purchasing two Einfach-Raus Ticket or the SparSchiene ticket be what I'm looking for also would either of these tickets qualify for the most direct route (no changes at stops)?

• Hallstatt to Salt Mine

by kirby1314 Online Now Aug 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Can i know how much is the fare to take ferry from Hallstatt train station to the
      Salt Mine?

1 Answer Aug 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    • Train Station in Hallstatt

by lrussell001 Online Now Jul 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I'd like to leave my rolling bag in the Hallstatt train station lockers before heading to the square with my backpack. Are lockers available, and if so, for what length of time? Thank you.

1 Answer Jul 31, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    • Sunlight on Halstatt

by jimhynd Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 7:58 AM

During May/June, is it best to visit morning or afternoon ,to have sunlight on the village?

3 Answers Apr 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    • Must do list in Hallstatt

by whitecloud66 Online Now Mar 14, 2012 at 3:24 AM

If I have 3 days in Hallstatt staying near the lake, what are the must do list and where to eat. Some friends suggested Salzburg, St.Wolfgang and Dachstein-kippenstein. Please advise, thanks!

3 Answers Mar 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM
    • accommodation in hallstat

by leemclean Online Now Dec 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM

A group of about 7 of us would perhaps like to visit Hallstat in June 2012 to do some walking etc. Is it possible to rent a house for 5 or 6 days?

• aodreen's Profile Photo

RE: Hostels in Hallstatt

by aodreen Online Now Nov 24, 2011 at 2:15 AM

Hi,

I need some advices on the hostels in Hallstatt.
      Plan to stay a night there Sept next year.
      Any good recommendation fall within Euro 30-35?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
      Aodreen

1 Answer Nov 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

From Salzburg to Hallstatt--April 2012

by SandiM Online Now Sep 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM

We are planning a daytrip from Salzburg to Hallstatt by public transport (we don't drive). What options are available for public transport? We want to leave Salzburg in the morning, stay 2-3 hours, then return to Salzburg. Train or bus? or both? Prices vs convenience of travel?

2 Answers Sep 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    • Hallstatt to Dachstein-Kippenstein

by cyc_827 Online Now Aug 19, 2011 at 10:49 PM

We are staying a Hallstatt for a couple of days in Sept this year and planning a daytrip to Dachstein-Kippenstein. We want to go up to Kippenstein mountain top station via cable car to see 5fingers platforms & surrounding areas.

Found a bus schedule from the website that shows a bus No. 543 that goes from Hallstatt Lahn (Seelande) to Obertraun Dachsteinseilbahn. Is this the correct bus to take? Is Obertraun Dachsteinseilbahn at the valley station of the Kippenstein cable car?

1 Answer Aug 19, 2011 at 11:51 PM
    • Hallstatt to St Wolfgang transport

by cyc_827 Online Now Aug 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM

We are staying in Hallstatt for a couple of days during our trip in Sept. Planning to do a side trip to St Wolfgang.

Would appreciate very much for advise on how we can travel to St Wolfgang via public transport, bus or train. How long is the journey time, ticket prices and where to get the tickets would be helpful.

Thanking you in advance for taking your time with answers to our question.

1 Answer Aug 1, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    • Lockers

by skidbr Online Now Jul 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Hi,
      Are there lockers to leave my luggage in Hallstatt?

Thx,
      Juliano

1 Answer Jul 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    • leesf28's Profile Photo

Salzburg-Hallstatt-Vienna

by leesf28 Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Hi,

Can someone please advise on the following :

I am coming from Budepest to Salzburg-Hallstatt-Vienna. I intend to spend a nite in Hallstatt before proceeding to Vienna. I was told to spend my trips in Salzburg first then proceed Hallstatt and take a train from Hallstatt to Vienna. The trip is about 4 1/2 hrs from Hallstatt to Vienna Meidling station. I'm not sure if this is the correct train timetable shown in wienerlinet website as the trip seems longer if I choose to take a train from Salzburg to Vienna which is about 3 hrs only?

• Hallstatt/Dachstein Ice Cave/Salzburg-Grossglockner High Alpine Road

by hsiang Online Now Dec 10, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Hi,need help as planning for our trip to Austria in end April to early May next year.
      From Hallstatt to Dachstein Ice Cave - checked a few websites, but I can't find what is the transport mode from Hallstatt to Dachstein. Is it very nearby? Will it be possbile to visit in the morning from Hallstatt and get back to Hallstatt by noon? Plan to catch about 12:30 train to Salzburg.
      Is there any website I may refer to about taking public coach from Salzburg to Grossglockner High Alpine Road? Is it possible to do it in 1 day from Salzburg?
      Thank you~

3 Answers Dec 12, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    • SandiM's Profile Photo

Hallstatt by day or overnight?

by SandiM Online Now Sep 26, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I'm just starting to put together an itinerary for a spring photography/train trip through Austria. Hallstatt popped up on my radar when I saw a beautiful photograph of a quaint little town on a lake in the mountains (I'm sure you've seen the one I mean in National Geographic Traveler). Limited on time, is Hallstatt visitable in one afternoon, or to truly enjoy the place should I plan to arrive in one morning, and leave the next? Are there any other photo-worthy spots in this town, or nearby which can be accessed by train or easily by foot? I'm planning to go in early May 2010, so will there be greenery at this time or still barren due to cold? Thank you!

3 Answers Sep 27, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    • wishing to visit Hallstatt

by jaklwe Online Now May 27, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Hello,

I am going to cruise the Danube this summer and wish to visit Hallstatt instead of one of the designated tour stops. It is my understanding that Linz is the closest point to finding a train that will arrive at a ferry which will take me onto Hallstatt. Has anyone done this before? If the choice could be made between Linz and Hallstatt; which would you choose? Can anyone tell me if Linz is closer to Hallstatt than Melk or Salzburg? Approximately how long it would take to get from Linz to Hallstatt and back to catch the cruise boat?

Thank you

3 Answers Jun 4, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    • Price of food in Rudolfsturm restaurant (the one near the Salt Mines)

by stavanger26 Online Now Apr 3, 2009 at 7:47 AM

Hi, does anyone know what is the pricing of a main course in Rudolfsturm? I'm wondering if it's cheaper to eat there or in Hallstatt. Alternatively, is there any good affordable restaurants to recommend near Hallstatt Lahn?

Thank you very much in advance.

3 Answers Apr 7, 2009 at 6:06 AM
    • Is the snow covering Hallstatt now?

by clarisseloh Online Now Jan 13, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Hi folks,

I have been looking up the webcam of Hallstatt and it seem like not much snow now. Therefore the town was not cover much by snow, am i right?

Actually i wish to snap some photos with the snow cover the Hallstatt.....

Anyone have been to Hallstatt recently and know on the snowing there now?

I'm planning to visit Hallstatt next week.

Thank in advance

1 Answer Jan 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Just passing through

by Maryimelda Online Now Sep 9, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Can someone tell me if there is a left luggage facility at the train station in Hallstatt? Many thanks

6 Answers Sep 11, 2008 at 4:24 PM
    • Vasilissa's Profile Photo

clothes advice

by Vasilissa Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 4:39 AM

Hi all,

We are going to visit Hallstatt (will stay in Obertraun) starting from 30.04 till 07.05.

I wonder what is the weather like in this period in this region. Check with webcam, seems it is rather cold there, the trees are still bald. ;( Can I expect a bit more green colors in a week?

6 Answers Apr 22, 2008 at 3:12 AM