Hallstatt Travel Answers

change location

Must do list in Hallstatt

by whitecloud66 Online Now Mar 14, 2012 at 3:24 AM

If I have 3 days in Hallstatt staying near the lake, what are the must do list and where to eat. Some friends suggested Salzburg, St.Wolfgang and Dachstein-kippenstein. Please advise, thanks!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Must do list in Hallstatt

by patrikpeter Online Now Mar 14, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Hallstatt is very nice place in Austria. You can visit Altausee salt mine, Museum Hallstatt, Hallstatt Ossuary.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: Must do list in Hallstatt

by globetrott Online Now Mar 14, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Hallstatt is a great place for a day-trip from Salzburg or where-ever, BUT I dont think its a good idea to have it as a base to explore the area from there !
    Every time when going by train, you first have to take the ship in order toget to the station !

• Roley's Profile Photo

Re: Must do list in Hallstatt

by Roley Online Now Mar 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM

There's lots to do in the immediate area so I wouldn't bother with trips further afield to Salzburg or St Wolfgang which as Globetrott says are quite long and complicated journeys from Hallstatt.

A visit up the Dachstein is certainly doable, though, and you could visit one of the ice caves there. Likewise, there's the salt mine above Hallstatt itself. In fine weather I enjoy riding the ferry round the lake - you can get a day pass and sail both the southern and northern halves of the lake. There are lots of walks for hiking in the area too. The walk along the eastern shore of the lake is level and easy!

The Hallstatt tourist information office has lots of info about sights, hiking trails and and so forth. I think you'll find plenty to keep yourself occupied.

For places to eat I like Derbls cafe konditorei on the market square in Hallstatt proper (very good ice cream). The Strand cafe in Lahn has nice inexpensive meals in a lovely lakeside setting. There's a restaurant in the Rudolfsturm up the cablecar from Lahn (near the salt min) and that has wonderful views. The Braugasthof Lobisser has a pleasant restaurant with a lakeside terrace on the road between Hallstatt and Lahn.

If you strike a rainy day, you might visit Bad Ischl - it's an easy excursion and only about 20mins by train from Hallstatt train station. Bad Ischl is a pretty little town and you can visit the Kaiservilla, the summer residence of Franz Josef, and the Lehar Villa, if you're interested in operetta. Bad Ischl also has some nice cafes and restaurants - Cafe Zauner on the riverbank is famous for its cakes, although I like the ice cream better :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines