Hallstatt Travel Answers

change location

Hallstatt

by oldgi Online Now May 7, 2004 at 10:49 AM

Hello,My Wife and I Plan To visit Hallstatt in July.I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on what not to miss seeing while we are there.Also I like to swim,any ideas on this? Thank You Matt

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Re: Hallstatt

by rexvaughan Online Now May 7, 2004 at 4:59 PM

As you probably know, Hallstatt sort of hangs on the side of a mountain right on the shore of the Lake (Hallstattersee) and a few minutes south of the center is a swimming area. We thoroughly enjoyed the Salt Mine tour into what purports to be the oldest mine in the world. There is also the World Heritage Hallstatt Museum which deals with the whole history of the town. There is actually a period of European history called the Hallstatt Period because of the great importance of salt in I think the 8th-10th Centuries. Also a bone chapel behind the catholic church which is quite interesting. We found just wandering this little place charming. It is very quiet and even with a lot of tourists, there just are not great crowds. We loved it; hope you do. Rex

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pipsqueak's Profile Photo

Re: Hallstatt

by pipsqueak Online Now May 11, 2004 at 7:36 AM

I would agree with the others about the salt mine tour, what could be better than wearing overalls that other people have previously worn and then sliding down a wooden rail and riding a little trolley down in the mine. The Charnel House (and the cemetary) for that matter by the Catholic Church is macabre, but interesting. It is just a great place to relax, hike, swim and enjoy the views, they were stunning. Check out some images on my VT Austria pages if you want.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines