Hall in Tirol Travel Answers

change location

Train or car?

by Schwammdrueber Online Now Apr 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM

My girlfriend and I are planning on staying in Hall for part of our trip to Austria and Germany this summer and want to take day trips to Neuschwanstein and the Zugspitze. We were thinking about getting rail passes until I found out trains from Hall to Garmisch go through Munich and take almost 4 hours with 2 changes. Is there some other form of transportation available? I was really hoping to avoid renting a car.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • GyuriFT's Profile Photo

Re: Train or car?

by GyuriFT Online Now Apr 15, 2010 at 8:34 AM

The only worse idea than to buy railpass for Germany and/or Austria is to buy a railpass for South or East Europe. Total rip-off.

As for your question: there could be busses, but as far as I know, car is the best option to reach Neuschwanstein. You can rent it relatively inexpensively from any new car dealership. Many have with automatic. Be careful: most cars in Europe are manual, automatic is a "luxury". We ended up taking all our cars from the States.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Train or car?

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Apr 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM

The one area in Europe I would always recommend a car for is heading around the alps. Public transport is not always easily available, and when it is, it uses the slow local service. If you have lots of time, go ahead and try it, but I would rent a car.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines