Halifax Travel Answers

change location
kyewink's Profile Photo

Japanese/Seafood Stores in Halifax

by kyewink Online Now Feb 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Hi there,

My Husband is heading into Halifax for a few days next month and I am on a mission for him to pick up some sashimi grade tuna and salmon for homemade sushi, as well as a few other ingredients...no japanese restos here in Central Nfld :(
I found a website for the Fisherman's Market, and was wondering if that would be the place to go?
Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Japanese/Seafood Stores in Halifax

by MapleMoose Online Now Feb 15, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Perhaps you could google Japanese restos in Halifax and contact them. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Japanese/Seafood Stores in Halifax

by saltyfry Online Now Feb 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Clearwater or Fisherman's market usually have frozen fish which is not good for sushi. Try at the new Halifax Farmer's Market - the Fish Shop. They could direct where else if not there. Hard to get tuna here that is fresh as when we catch it we sell it and ship it to Japan within the day (big profit margin).

If you want to try and ask a fish broker, Matt Ross - Chunky Fish (business name in Rhode Island) is the big player here. Comes every summer in July and tools around buys tuna for Japanese market - but doubt he would sell to you unless you want a whole thousand pounder??

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines