Halifax Travel Answers

change location

Questions ?

by joey_halen2000 Online Now Jul 19, 2007 at 10:42 AM

I try asking in my other thread but i guess it's kinda died out now. I'm moving to Nova Scotia in less than two weeks now, and I was just wondering if someone can tell me where I need to go to get my driver's license switched over to Nova Scotia, and also recomend a good place to go for auto insurance ? as i understand that car insurance is privatized out there.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • babygrand's Profile Photo

Re: Questions ?

by babygrand Online Now Jul 20, 2007 at 7:39 PM

You got the Insurance answer, I imagine. You get your license transferred at the Registry of Motor Vehicles after you come here. Your old one is good for I think three months, but you can check this out at:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv

they have a "Contact us" button where you can submit your specific question. You could also ask for the closest Registry office to the address where you will be living.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • babygrand's Profile Photo

Re: Questions ?

by babygrand Online Now Jul 20, 2007 at 9:14 PM

I was slow answering your other thread because I've been busy. There have been quite a few queries on this forum from people looking to move here. I like that people are coming from away to my very special corner of the world. If I can help in any way, you can get in touch directly.

Welcome to Nova Scotia, and although I can't say "neighbour" I do hope you find all you are looking for.

One word, though....the private insurance system here does differ quite a bit from the government system you're used to. Be careful that you get the coverage you need, and watch that you don't get a bunch of useless extras. For example, in my son's home, we carry sewage back-up insurance. It allows for40,000. in repairs/replacement. He had an old basement with limited space for drainage, so that particular issue would be a catastrphe. In my home, the sewage is so much lower than the basement floor level, that we don't bother with it. Not an issue. With cars, you probably want to consider2million liability, as claims are not controlled by government. There is a fund for short-falls, but you can be taken to the cleaners. (not likely unless you do something really stupid). Insurance brokers are the best bet. Ask lots of questions. You'll adapt to the change.

The big thing you'll notice is the lifestyle. Things are quite a bit more laid back here. I've visited BC, and attended a lot of large meetings and conferences with people from BC and Alberta. Everthing was so focused and fast for them. We're a bit slower paced, and more apt to "stop and smell the roses."

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines