Halifax Travel Answers

change location
Mashy's Profile Photo

Halifax nightlife and sightseeing

by Mashy Online Now Mar 19, 2005 at 2:37 AM

Me and a friend will be in Halifax 28th-30th March at the start of a 3 week train journey to Vancouver, using VIA rails excellent value CanRail Pass. Got accommodation sorted, planning on walking around to see the city, especially the Citadel and Maritime museum, but has anyone got any tips for good nightlife or any other must see tourist attractions. Also, where's the best seafood restaurant - a must for Halifax!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Tourtech's Profile Photo

RE: Halifax nightlife and sightseeing

by Tourtech Online Now Mar 19, 2005 at 2:16 PM

I was always partial to the Split Crow, but most visitors like the lower deck.

In the Sheraton on the waterfront is the Fife and Drum... All three look good.

Best Seafood restaurant is a tough call, most people say The Five Fishermen, but I find it a little over-priced though the food is very good. It is part of the liquor dome and anyone in Halifax can tell you where that is.

On your cross canada travels, try to schedule a party night in Quebec City... I highly reccomend it...

Safe travels!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • deptlads's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Halifax nightlife and sightseeing

by deptlads Online Now Mar 22, 2005 at 4:26 PM

Hi Jamie!

We did the same trip as you in November 2003 - it is brilliant!

In Halifax, we had a pretty good seafood meal at Salty's (http://www.saltys.ca/), which is in the historic properties on the waterfront - great views from the first floor dining room! But our best meal in Halifax was definately at "Stories" at the Halliburton House Inn on Morris Street (http://www.halliburton.ns.ca/Dining/). Very cosy and friendly. We had a delicious mixed game grill, including caribou, red deer, quail, and guinea hen. Three courses and coffee plus a bottle of wine came to CAD160 for the two of us (inc. tip). Not cheap, but worth it!

We quite liked Halifax, it is very similar to most naval towns in the UK. walking around is quite easy, and there are lots of "quirky" shops in the town centre (record shops, second hand bookshops, "goth" shops etc.) The Maritime Museum and the Citadel are both worth a visit, and you should take the boat across the harbour to Dartmouth. There is not much to do there, but you get a great view back over Halifax. From Dartmouth you can get a bus back across the bridge to Halifax.

Have a great time!

Regards

Andrew

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines