Halifax Travel Answers

change location
cath026's Profile Photo

nova scotia ideas?

by cath026 Online Now Jun 12, 2003 at 4:45 AM

i will have roughly a week to explore Nova Scotia at the end of July. Can any one recommend good places to visit/stay. I'd really like to hear some traditional music too. Any recommendations welcome. thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: nova scotia ideas?

by Canuckette Online Now Jun 16, 2003 at 6:07 PM

First of all, I should warn you that it's not easy to visit Nova Scotia without a car. If you will be driving or are an experienced cyclist, you should visit Cape Breton Island. The Fortress of Louisbourg is a fascinating reconstruction of a 250 year old French fortified town. The Cabot Trail is a drive offering excellent views of the cliffs on the northern tip of the island. There is also a number of nice hike you can do near the Cabot Trail. The best place I found for traditional music is the Gaelic College, in St. Ann's. One night a week, there was a "ceilidh" (pronounced kaley), where you could hear bagpipes, fiddling and traditional songs, along with some highland dancing. You can also do whale watching from many cliffs, or take one of the many whale watching cruises. The Glace Bay Miners' Museum is also fascinating. There is a group of former miners which are called "The Men of the Deep" which occasionally perform in Glace Bay and elsewhere, but their concerts quickly sell out. (In preparation, you should try to find the movie "Margaret's Museum", which shows you the kind of life the miners used to live.) My favourite activity on Cape Breton was meeting the locals. They were warm and friendly, and didn't hesitate to invite me into their home or talk with me about how the lobster season was going. I visited the Nova Scotia mainland as well, but I left my heart on Cape Breton.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines