Haleakala National Park Travel Answers

change location

Keonehe' ehe' e hiking trail start altitude too high?

by darsunt Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I understand that the keonehe' ehe' e trailhead is just a short distance from the lookout point, at 9700 ft. My wife had trouble with altitude sickness hiking in Lake Tahoe (7k ft?) so do you guys think this trailhead would be too high for her?
Is their any trail into the crater that has less elevation?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Keonehe' ehe' e hiking trail start altitude too high?

by Agraichen Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM

That would be a question for your/her doctor. I've done Haleakala with a heart issue and had no problems. I've skiied at 14K and had no problems, but then I'm not your wife.

First question for you / she would be what are the issues with height? Breathless, trouble walking and breathing? That would, to me indicate a medical issue that should be looked into.

As for hiking Haleakala, if there is any issue with height sickness I would think you should not consider trying it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dengay's Profile Photo

by dengay Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Definitely have your wife consult her doctor. I too have suffered from altitude sickness above about 7,000'. Before our last trip I asked my doctor for advice to help and he suggested I begin extreme hydration 24 hrs before my acent, which I did (1/2 litre of water every hour while I was awake).

I hiked a little over two miles down the Sliding Sands Trail without any problems. Coming back out I had to stop about 7 or 8 times to catch my breath, but no headache or nausea at all.

It's definitely worth it. It's one of the most surreal places I have ever visited and just standing and looking out over the crater is just not the same thing.

• Re: Keonehe' ehe' e hiking trail start altitude too high?

by Marisa1 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I suffer from altitude sickness starting at about 4500 feet. I have gone up Haleakala and could only stay at the top for a few minutes before we had to leave due to me feeling dizzy and disoriented. However, we were able to enjoy the views about half way up the mountain and walk around some. If your wife had trouble at 7000 feet, I bet she will have trouble at 9700 for sure. I think I did see some hiking trails that start a bit lower, but I wouldn't suggest she do any really vigorous hiking at an altitude that gives her trouble.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Aloha. Check with your doctor for restrictions on hiking at Haleakala National Park. Use the Park website for details regarding hiking in the Park. Let your doctor know the details. All I can add is that it is a long way up and back down to lower elevations, if help is needed. Best wishes for a great visit. See the Park website: haleakala.national-park.com/...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Haleakala National Park