Travel Answers
Haines

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Getting to the northern most point in Barrow.

Barrow May 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM

It looks like the northern most point on the road (a badly weathered sign frame sits at the end of the road) is about 10 miles away from the airport. If I go in July can I walk there? I heard taxis are sketchy at best. Rental cars are nearly impossible to get. I've already inquired into 2016 with few available. I guess my only concern besides weather would be wildlife? If anyone could shed any light on this is,it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ron

more
    • Sampel of 10 days RV trip in interior area

Alaska May 15, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Hello...can anyone shares sample of 10 days trip with RV in interior area starting from Anchorage? Including stops and recommended RV park. We are family of 5 will traveling from 14 to 14 June 2015.

Thank you
      Paulina (Indonesia)

more
    • Restaurant

Barrow May 4, 2015 at 5:42 PM

What is the Mexican take-out restaurant called, next to the Top of the World Hotel?

more
    • Booking ahead or not?

Alaska May 19, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Hey all,
      I will be traveling in Alaska in late July - early September, and plan on hiking and backpacking. No fancy hotels or luxurious cruises.
      I have traveled before, and prefer never to book hostels/parks ahead. I like to just get somewhere, and stay there as much as I want.
      But after reading a bit about Alaska, I wonder if it's better to stick to a strict plan and book everything ahead, or is it possible to just go with the flow and maybe even get some last minute deals?
      Thanks

more
    • Eagle Preserve Jetboat

by smwatk Online Now Apr 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Is the Eagle Preserve Jetboat likely to be fun for boys ages 7 and 10 in June, or are they liable to get bored?

Thanks!

2 Answers Apr 27, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    • firefly2010's Profile Photo

getting around Haines

by firefly2010 Online Now Apr 16, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Can you walk to town from the cruise ship? Is it best to do an excursion from the ship or can you find and book one on your own? Any suggestions on what to see there for the day.
      thanxs

2 Answers Apr 16, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    • scenic drive from Haines to BC in March?

by jodiNYnjCO Online Now Mar 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM

We are arriving in Haines, AK around March 15th, and intend to take the scenic drive into BC sometime that week. Can anyone tell me that the Pass/road is definitely open during this time of year? Also, does anyone know of some easy-access backcountry skiing along this drive? Or have a weblink to information on backcountry skiing this area? Any info is greatly appreciated!

1 Answer Mar 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    • 9tigers's Profile Photo

haines or skagway

by 9tigers Online Now Apr 28, 2008 at 6:34 AM

I will be fly into haines and stay there and rent a car and drive up to haines junciton, I think it is beautiful...
      I was originally thinking of take the water taxi the next day to skagway and take a bus tour to white pass, then take the ferry back to Juneau, but is it all worth it to go over skagway? or haines is just as beautiful?

thanks
      Daisy

• shuttle/taxi from ferry dock to Haines downtown?? need advice

by rrrhaines Online Now Nov 4, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Hi,

We are arriving at Haines on Fri nite ~8pm (Nov 9, 2007) on the Ferry from Juneau. I hear the taxi service between the ferry dock and downtown Haines is20 per person each way!? Is this correct?

Are there any other options? Is there a bus service that make the rounds?
      I'd rather not get a car...

thanks

1 Answer Nov 13, 2007 at 5:52 PM
    • Haines to Anchorage ?

by captainspeer Online Now Jan 11, 2004 at 4:54 PM

Hi, am ending cruise in juneau in may. plan on going to anchorage via haines, but6 am unsure how to do it? one way car rental? Bus tour? any ideas? Thanks.

5 Answers Jun 19, 2005 at 10:36 PM
    • Best Land Option Haines to Anchorage?

by captainspeer Online Now Jan 11, 2004 at 4:47 PM

Hi, Am planning to end cruise in Juneau, then make way to Haines and Anchorage...any ideas how to do it?...one way car rental? Bus?

1 Answer Jun 22, 2005 at 5:18 PM
    • Best Land Option Haines to Anchorage?

by captainspeer Online Now Jan 11, 2004 at 4:47 PM

Hi, Am planning to end cruise in Juneau, then make way to Haines and Anchorage...any ideas how to do it?...one way car rental? Bus?