Haifa Travel Answers

change location
photogal's Profile Photo

Great things to visit

by photogal Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM

What are the best sites to visit in this area, and is it worth five hours on a bus to visit Jerusalem for the day?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Great things to visit

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Without question, the #1 site in the area is the Baha'i Gardens in the centre of Haifa. They're UNESCO listed and incredible.

joestrippin.blogspot.com/201...

Across the bay is the town of Akko (Acre). It's got a nice, but touristy old town and the holiest site in the Baha'i faith.

joestrippin.blogspot.com/201...

Further afield, you could got to Nazareth (Jesus's home town) but there's really not much to do there. Technically, you could go to Tel Aviv on a day trip, but it would be better to spend a couple days there.

The same is true for Jerusalem. But Jerusalem is one of the greatest cites on Earth (in my opinion) and need a minimum of 3 or 4 days to get a glimpse of what's available.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • iblatt's Profile Photo

by iblatt Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Hi! Sounds like you are going on a cruise and have a stop in Haifa?
    As Fluffy Bunny wrote, a tour of the Bahai Gardens is a must in Haifa.
    There is much more to do in and around Haifa, depending on how much time you have available.
    - Panoramic view of the Haifa Bay from Mt. Carmel (the "Uptown" of Haifa).
    - Carmelite monastery of Stella Maris, then take cable-car to Bat Galim promenade
    - Historic German colony (late 19th century), restaurants in that quarter
    - Ethnic, colorful Arab neighborhood of Wadi Nissnass (market, inexpensive restaurants)
    - Many museums in different parts of the city, from science to Japanese Art to maritime history...

Half day trips from Haifa:
    - Druze ethnic villages in the Carmel mountain.
    - Hikes in the Carmel National Forest.
    - Acre (Akko) Crusader city, market, city walls and more...

As for Jerusalem, it's one of the most interesting cities in the world, and is certainly worth the trouble. Half a day in Jerusalem is like half a day in Rome or in Paris, no more than a taste...

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Great things to visit

by ramot418 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM

If we knew your general itinerary and its limitations, we could all advise you better.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by rdglady Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I am understanding your question differently than others. The impression I am getting is that you are asking if it is worthwhile to spend 5 hours to visit Jerusalem. The short answer is a hands down, no questions asked YES. I am not going to enumerate what and where to go, until you confirm my understanding of your questions.

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM

The way i read it, since the question was posted in the Haifa forum, OP is using Haifa as a base. The quesiton, to me, seems to be about what to see around Haifa. And if the 5 hour bus ride to Jerusalem worth it for a day trip.

5 hours to Jerusalem and 5 hours back to Haifa means OP will have at maximum 2 or 3 hours in Jerusalem. Clearly it's not impossible. And any time in Jerusalem is better than nothing. But it's certainly not practical.

by rdglady Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Hopefully the OP will come back and clarify. AND now as I think--it is NOT 5 hours from Haifa to Jerusalem.   It is about 2 hours each way!

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Ooops. I don't know what i was thinking. Of course it's only 2.5 hours by bus. Total brain malfunction.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines